Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

I'd have thought neither standing water nor dryness were good for the deep litter method. What am I missing here?
That the litter is absorbing 3"-5" of rain in a couple hours so the flock just gets their toes damp. The surface of the litter dries out quickly in my open hoop coop.

Underneath the litter it's gorgeous compost and worms.

The puddle on the edge is where they've been digging holes for dust bathing. It won't be standing water for long.

The weather's turned distinctly cooler. We have another fast featherer among the latest clutch, who's finding it a bit tedious as s/he's ready to go while the rest still need periodically to warm up with mum; 'come and play!' 'in a minute' :D
DSC03698.JPG

I don’t know anything about grape fields (I have one vine and it seems to need no care other than to hack it down when it gets too aggressive).
I know that the wine headache is often attributed to sulfites. I am not sure the evidence for that is rock solid but it is a widely held belief.
Some of the sulfites are naturally occurring as a result of fermentation, but sulphur dioxide (sulfite) is often added to wine as a preservative.
To get to sulfites from sulfur is an industrial process requiring a fair bit of chemistry including an electric charge.
It seems you are right. Did some research on the www.
Sulphurs are added as a preservative in the winery and for protecting crops in the vineyard against fungi, among other things.
About 1% of the people get headaches from (red) wines. But this is probably not from sulphites. Because in general there are more sulphites in white wines. Some people with asthma are sensitive for sulphates in wine. But they don’t get headaches but breathing problems.

The infographic shows the max quantity in miligrams per liter for different types of wine. The green dots are organic wines with little to much sugar in it.
sulfiet%20foto1.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom