Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

In the town next to me, supposed to keep any thing with wheels on a hard surface. Older homes with gravel driveway are grandfathered but new are supposed to be concrete or blacktop... also houses to have brick instead of vinyl or wood siding in front. So much for the farming community I grew up with.
A sign of people in charge who want to exert control over their subjects... :mad:

Not the best picture, hope it qualifies for tax...
IMG_20231111_160958621~2.jpg

Miss Martha, the one who never has to assert her position, she's at the top. She was the sole yellow chick in the hatch.

Okay, so another mite question: I’ve heard that Elector PSP is supposed to be effective for mites and lice of all types. The down side is that it is super pricey ($160). The active ingredient is Spinozad.

I was at Lowe’s looking for a puffer to use to try to get permethrin powder on chicken butts more easily when I spotted this: View attachment 3682888View attachment 3682890It comes as a dust or a spray, but isn’t marketed for use on animals. However, I did the math for the dilution from the concentrated Elector PSP, and it comes out to the same dilution as this bottle, which is only $12.99.

What are thoughts on this being safe for use off label since it’s the same dilution?

Tax for mites:
View attachment 3682894View attachment 3682895It’s so hard to capture the prettybeetle green on Smiley’s feathers, but she’s pretty anyway.
The picture you posted is 0.001%, so not strong enough.

10% = 100 mg per gram or ml
1% = 10 mg per gram or ml
0.01% = 1 mg per gram or ml
0.01% = 0.1 mg per gram or ml
0.001% = 0.01 mg per gram or ml

Spinosad is 44.2% Spinosad = 442 mg spinosad per one ml

The directions say 3 ounces (89 ml) to 10 gallons which is 8.9 ml per gallon
8.9 x 442 = 3933.8 mg per gallon

If I did the math correctly - 3933.8/3785 = 1.0% dilution (please double check), you need to use a product that's closer to 1%

spinosad_1.PNG

elanco_spinosad_1.PNG
spinosad_3.PNG

elanco_spinosad.PNG

In the town next to me, supposed to keep any thing with wheels on a hard surface. Older homes with gravel driveway are grandfathered but new are supposed to be concrete or blacktop... also houses to have brick instead of vinyl or wood siding in front. So much for the farming community I grew up with.
Well aren't we full of our royal selves!! No wood siding? But only not on the front? Used to be the rich(er) people put wood siding on 3 sides, shingles on the front (because they were expensive). And only concrete or blacktop driveways? I guess they would poo poo the laid stone (brick like but not regular bricks, true natural stone) driveway at my prior house. It was a small lot, the driveway was only big enough for 2 cars in front of the garage and 1 beside the car closer to the road.

Seems it is time to vote some people out of office in that town and get back to sensible.

Well aren't we full of our royal selves!! No wood siding? But only not on the front? Used to be the rich(er) people put wood siding on 3 sides, shingles on the front (because they were expensive). And only concrete or blacktop driveways? I guess they would poo poo the laid stone (brick like but not regular bricks, true natural stone) driveway at my prior house. It was a small lot, the driveway was only big enough for 2 cars in front of the garage and 1 beside the car closer to the road.

Seems it is time to vote some people out of office in that town and get back to sensible.
What would be the over/under on whoever passed those laws owning or having a stake in the local company(ies) that sell those materials?

Lots of stuff that gravity normally holds to the ground went airborn today. Steady strong winds with 40mph+ gusts. Henry got blown off course hard enough to warrent a five step stagger to stay upright! The rest spent most of the afternoon either under the shade box, or in the coop extension. Oh yeah, it threw some wet stuff around as well. I would just get my face turned out of the wind when the wind would whip around 90 degrees and shower me with rain. I need windscreen wipers for my glasses!

Carbons droppings are still looking good and possibly better than yesterday. I don't know much about her balance and energy levels yet because they didn't leave the run often. Hopefully get a better idea tomorrow.
PB132756.JPG

PB132761.JPG

PB132760.JPG
PB132758.JPG
PB132759.JPG
PB132762.JPG

The picture you posted is 0.001%, so not strong enough.

10% = 100 mg per gram or ml
1% = 10 mg per gram or ml
0.01% = 1 mg per gram or ml
0.01% = 0.1 mg per gram or ml
0.001% = 0.01 mg per gram or ml

Spinosad is 44.2% Spinosad = 442 mg spinosad per one ml

The directions say 3 ounces (89 ml) to 10 gallons which is 8.9 ml per gallon
8.9 x 442 = 3933.8 mg per gallon

If I did the math correctly - 3933.8/3785 = 1.0% dilution (please double check), you need to use a product that's closer to 1%

Okay, I've redone the math and I think we both got it wrong.

44.2% ought to be .442mg/1ml
442mg/1ml would be 44,200%, right?

The dilution is 3oz./10gal.
Which would be 0.3 oz./1gal.
0.3oz. = 8.87206ml (just used an online conversion for this bit)
1gal = 3785.41ml
So, 8.87ml concentrate / 3785.41ml water is the dilution we're after.

0.442 x 8.87206 = 3.921
So the concentrate has 3.921 mg active ingredient / 8.87206 ml = 0.442 = 44.2%

3.921mg active ingredient / 3785.41ml (1 gal) = 0.00104,
which would be about 0.1% (I forgot to convert the decimal to a percentage when I first calculated it, so I thought it was 0.001%)

So the Lowe’s stuff is still too weak a dilution, but now I think I understand the math 😂

I'd love some double and triple checking on this because I'm going cross-eyed.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom