Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

It's way too soon to say I've had success, but I'm treating a pullet for salpingitis with lotus leaf extract, based on this study:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/ar...ited apoptosis,immune function in laying hens.

My thread is here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/soft-egg-shell-stuck-in-vent.1611362/

Why I did this:
I did get a bottle of amoxicillin last year before they became "by prescription only." A 10 day treatment was 1/5 of the bottle of 100. Salpingitis is hard to treat, and often -- usually? -- recurs. I can't get more amox easily (or maybe at all), so I thought I'd try this, based on what I'd read in the study.

Also, beware of scam sites offering amox!
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/amoxicillin-scam-site.1612885/

This is the lotus leaf extract I ordered:
https://www.amazon.com/Lotus-Leaf-Certified-Organic-Capsules/dp/B076JSGRZ4

I'll be updating my thread with any news.

I am reading another old poultry manual, and have just come across a sentence that spontaneously triggered a question for us all (I used to have to set exam papers twice yearly :lol:):

"Raw greenfood is the foundation for health. The failure to provide it has caused the deterioration of the modern hen and the commercial egg." Worthington. Discuss.
Well I'll be gobsmacked! There was me thinking the foundation for good health was a varied and balanced diet and lots of exercise. That's it then, no more fish or meat for the chickens. Bad enough that I'm already eating grains and bird seed. Now according to to your old school book I've got to start eating grass and plants, uncooked what's more!
Talk about giving the vegans the edge.:rolleyes::lol:

I don't know if I was spurred or flogged, but my bantam rooster attacked me about a month ago, left scratches by my eye and a sore spot on my head where he slammed into me as I bent over.

Immediately afterwards I threw water on top of him, chasing him around the run. The next few days I threw water on top of him whenever he got close. He's been minding his Ps & Qs ever since but I also watch him closely.

He's on borrowed time.

However I've never seen any evidence of him abusing his hens.
I think most people who keep roosters and cockerels in particular get pecked and/or flogged at some point. After a few years of chicken keeping one comes to expect it at some point or other.
I'm fortunate in that in a close quarters brawl with a chicken I'm faster than they are, usually because I see them plotting up for a strike. If they strike and run I'm fecked because they are then faster than me. It's the wings; they cheat.:p

Almost always the same problem here on BYC at least and that is people expect the males to be in awe of the keeper and friendly to a point of being completely docile.:rolleyes:
In my experience, nature just isn't like that and even males considered tame will have a bad day from time to time.
Appropriate clothing, including gloves is recommended and being mindfull of where one sticks ones head and any other unprotected anatomy.

I’ve probably mentioned this before - Bub-bub has given me some really painful ‘bites’ (grab & twist). I take the view that I’ve done something stupid & try not to repeat the mistake. Every morning he comes out of their house, gallops over, fluffed up & pecks my foot, occasionally giving it a good scratch for good measure. Then he proceeds to do more or less the same to the hens (in their case a swift tap on the head). They in turn try to outwit him & are often faster than he is. I, maybe wrongly, interpret this as “I’m in charge here” & am really not bothered by it. With strangers, they get the full on galloping feathery football &, if small hoomans, he stops short before pecking. He only gives a swift peck to adults unless they try to “fight back” or run away.
He also regularly jumps onto my lap for a bit of grooming / letting me do some of the watching for predators.
I hope I’m getting a halfway decent balance of mutual respect despite my ignorance and take it as a compliment if they groom when perched near me.
Needless to say they have trained me as a treat dispenser :lau
I suspect they a just humoring me…..

I’ve probably mentioned this before - Bub-bub has given me some really painful ‘bites’ (grab & twist). I take the view that I’ve done something stupid & try not to repeat the mistake. Every morning he comes out of their house, gallops over, fluffed up & pecks my foot, occasionally giving it a good scratch for good measure. Then he proceeds to do more or less the same to the hens (in their case a swift tap on the head). They in turn try to outwit him & are often faster than he is. I, maybe wrongly, interpret this as “I’m in charge here” & am really not bothered by it. With strangers, they get the full on galloping feathery football &, if small hoomans, he stops short before pecking. He only gives a swift peck to adults unless they try to “fight back” or run away.
He also regularly jumps onto my lap for a bit of grooming / letting me do some of the watching for predators.
I hope I’m getting a halfway decent balance of mutual respect despite my ignorance and take it as a compliment if they groom when perched near me.
Needless to say they have trained me as a treat dispenser :lau
I suspect they a just humoring me…..
Most of this type of behaviour fades away as they get older in my experience. The worst injuries I've had have been from donkeys, rams and mink. I am currently sporting a rather lovely bruise and cut from blocking Digs attack on Fret a couple of days ago.

Well I'll be gobsmacked! There was me thinking the foundation for good health was a varied and balanced diet and lots of exercise. That's it then, no more fish or meat for the chickens. Bad enough that I'm already eating grains and bird seed. Now according to to your old school book I've got to start eating grass and plants, uncooked what's more!
Talk about giving the vegans the edge.:rolleyes::lol:
I didn't know you suffered from coccidiosis :lau

So this is an article about new rules for culling of hatchery males. Talking about culling male turkey poults. I understand culling male layers because it's cheaper to raise CX. But don't people on that side of the pond eat male turkey?
https://www.poultryworld.net/the-in...k-government-urged-to-ban-male-chick-culling/
There is no market for turkey eggs that I know of, so I don't understand this either. But also I know nothing about turkeys; are males bigger than females, or vice versa? Or is there some kind of flavour taint with males (as with some mammals)?

Back
Top Bottom