Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

Most of the day yesterday. It started off warm and by the late afternoon the rain set in and it's been raining since on and off.
Mow is getting over being broody. The nest strip out seems to have done the trick.
This is the picture of the chick that got left at the nest.
IMG-20240518-WA0002.jpg

Here they all are and no problems that I've seen so far.
IMG-20240521-WA0001.jpg

Rain on and off all day. Four hours today. This morning was quick and this afternoon around two and a half hours.

I've been watching the tribe dynamics (that's what they are now) carefully over the past few weeks. The removal of Dig had more of an effect than just less noise. :p Obviously the reality of furthering ones genes hasn't spoilt their appetite for it.:D

Carbon has been giving Mow a harder time than usual since Mow started looking broody. Carbon does not think Mow should be broody and should not be sitting on eggs. She's right. Mow is the most junior and Fret has a proven track record and is senior hen. Now Mow has no eggs to sit on and is simmering rather than boiling, Carbon has been more relaxed with Mow.

Mow's egg laying cycle has switched off so she was seriously broody.
Mow is jealous of mum. There is no other way of describing it. Will this effect her dealings with the chicks. As soon as Fret finishes rearing them Mow is suddenly no longer the most junior and no doubt she will want to make everyone aware of this. Mow may decide to have a go at Fret. I've had this before.

The first chick to hatch, the darkest of them, has stuff sorted that the rest don't. The two yellow chicks seem to be at a similar stage despite one of them being rejected and returned.

So what is Mow up to here? That's an unusual posture and Fret is telling Mow something.
P5220804.JPG

When it was raining.
P5220803.JPG

When it wasn't.
P5220802.JPG
P5220801.JPG
P5220800.JPG

Rain on and off all day. Four hours today. This morning was quick and this afternoon around two and a half hours.

I've been watching the tribe dynamics (that's what they are now) carefully over the past few weeks. The removal of Dig had more of an effect than just less noise. :p Obviously the reality of furthering ones genes hasn't spoilt their appetite for it.:D

Carbon has been giving Mow a harder time than usual since Mow started looking broody. Carbon does not think Mow should be broody and should not be sitting on eggs. She's right. Mow is the most junior and Fret has a proven track record and is senior hen. Now Mow has no eggs to sit on and is simmering rather than boiling, Carbon has been more relaxed with Mow.

Mow is jealous of mum. There is no other way of describing it. Will this effect her dealings with the chicks. As soon as Fret finishes rearing them Mow is suddenly no longer the most junior and no doubt she will want to make everyone aware of this. Mow may decide to have a go at Fret. I've had this before.

The first chick to hatch, the darkest of them, has stuff sorted that the rest don't. The two yellow chicks seem to be at a similar stage despite one of them being rejected and returned.

So what is Mow up to here? That's an unusual posture and Fret is telling Mow something.
View attachment 3840671

When it was raining.
View attachment 3840670

When it wasn't.
View attachment 3840669View attachment 3840668View attachment 3840667
This year for some reason or another the pecking order in the Bigs has been all over the place.

View attachment 3840671

When it was raining.
View attachment 3840670

When it wasn't.
View attachment 3840669View attachment 3840668View attachment 3840667
I don't recall Carbon ever going broody, but I am quite forgetful. Has she? Could she be older than Fret?

Back
Top Bottom