Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

The vet explained this to me.

ISAs and other commercial laying hens were selectively bred for rapid ageing. All hen birds from the biggest eagles to tiniest wrens are hatched carrying every egg they'll ever lay as tiny cells (same with mammals like humans and dolphins).

The ones who age at a normal rate lay eggs longer. The ones who age fast, lay fast. Commercial laying hens age fast, lay fast, and die young.

I'm speaking in generalities, of course there are outliers.

That's how it seems to be. Although it seemed like my last batched laid bad as well. They really struggled after that first year. Only one kept it up for one and a half more year. Very sad what is happening to these birds

Finished the planter.
20240524_171957.jpg

Bonus bee butt
20240524_153132.jpg

@Shadrach, has anyone at the allotments noticed the new chicks?
Yup. It is growing season so there are people coming and going. When Fret sat last it was October and by then the field has gone very quiet. Everybody thinks the the chicks are cute. The couple of people who said I was irrisponsible letting Fret hatch in the coop and seemed to believe one should stick them in a broody box in a house, have seen the light.:rolleyes: It's difficult to not appreciate just how much the chicks are learning out and about compared to those kept in a broody box. You don't see mum attacking rats and other birds who get to close in a broody box.:p

I'm going to sound awfully conservative but there is something that just looks right when you see mum, dad, a couple of aunts maybe, daughters and sons. True, this phase doesn't last forever but I find it amazing to watch.

Half an hour this morning. Did I mention I'm knackered?:p
Two and a half hours this afternoon.

The app on my phone tells me I've done 12000 steps today. I spent most of the afternoon at the field weeding. Weeding just isn't the same without Henry by my side helping; it's a lot quicker though.:lol:
P5240813.JPG
P5240814.JPG

Half an hour this morning. Did I mention I'm knackered?:p
Two and a half hours this afternoon.

The app on my phone tells me I've done 12000 steps today. I spent most of the afternoon at the field weeding. Weeding just isn't the same without Henry by my side helping; it's a lot quicker though.:lol:
View attachment 3842836View attachment 3842837
Surely 12,000 steps justifies a Polish cake or two? 😉

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom