Shadrach's Lamps

Pics
This is called Fracture. It's all made from strawberry tree.

P2180408.JPG
P2180409.JPG
P2180411.JPG
P2180412.JPG
P2180413.JPG
P2180414.JPG
P2180415.JPG
P2180417.JPG

A young man who took Knocks chicks is interested in woodwork. He's been working with a man who makes rustic style furniture. It's mostly power tool work apparently and the young man wanted to know why I don't use them.
During the explanation the matter of heardpoint saws came up. Basically hardpoints have case hardened teeth and once they go blunt you throw the saw away. Hardpoints are excellent saws for timber with a uniform constistency but for much of the wood I work with there are softer and harder sections throught any cut I make. This tends to make a hardpoint wander off the cut line.
I use a bow saw for rough cutting or a bill hook if I can do a split with some confidence that the split will follow the grain line.
I had a piece of ordinary white oak handy and demonstrated the problem with the hardpoint by making a cut and then did another with the bow saw.
I just placed one bit on top of the other out of the way and went off to do other things. Today when I went to clear up the work bench I looked at the two pieces much as they are shown in the picture, but unworked and thought I would make a sculpture with them. So, this is going to be a new project. I have some ideas and have already done some work on both pieces.
P2190447.JPG
P2190448.JPG
P2190450.JPG

A while ago I got asked if I could make a narrow, long bowl for someone, out of something different to the beech and olive that one sees for sale. Nothing fancy, just simple and not very deep.
P2190451.JPG

I'm going to see what I can do with this.
P2190452.JPG

Truer words were never typed FH!! I'm continually amazed at what he finds in a piece of wood.
Truer words were never typed FH!! I'm continually amazed at what he finds in a piece of wood.
You know what Bruce, I see the truth in everything, and also see the lies, It's a curse that I possess, and because of it, many people hate me for it!

Back
Top Bottom