Shadrach's Lamps

Pics
Ooooh!

Will there be pictures? :fl
Could be.:p
I'll have a look. I'm a bit annoyed that I don't have pictures of a lot of the lamps that got sold.
I had a spell where I made a number of lamps to go to the UK and for local sale. I'm not sure why they didn't get photographed.:confused: I know where most of them went and I'm asking their owners to send some pictures, just for a record.

This lamp is called Adoration. There are few pictures elsewhere in this thread.
The lamp took a couple of months to complete. It's about as close as I get to outright art.
The two pieces were lying in the pile I have outside. The plump (Fat is none PC now apparently :p ) piece looked like a bit of old root but had the basic shape you can see in the picture. The slim piece :p was due ot go on the fire! I just happened to pick them both up together and in the rough orientation they are on the stand. I knew instantly what to do with them but I had no idea if I could make it work.
The base is what took the time. All the black is inlaid slate paste and getting it so the corners didn't break out and at a decent finish was incredibly difficult. I made three bases before I got it right.:oops:
P3130959.JPG

P3240981.JPG

PB120903.JPG

PB120905.JPG

This lamp is called Strobe.
It's mainly Box Wood which is ideal for these construction style lamps.
Both these lamps need to be seen and touched. The pictures I take do not do them justice.
Strobe is my current beside table lamp.
P3310244.JPG

P3310246.JPG

P3310247.JPG

P3310248.JPG

P3310249.JPG

I think I've done this right. All the lamps with their names in bold are current stock. I'll add the new ones as they are completed, also in bold. There are a couple of commissioned lamps completed and with their owners permission I'll post pictures of them at some point.
I have 11 stripped pieces of wood probably suitable for making a lamp currently. My favorite wood which is Cork Oak isn't being cut in the park at the moment.

Product or Art.

This is a problem many of the artists/craftspeople I speak to have to make a decision on in order to earn a living at what they do. I could make product now with a few additional electric tools but doing so heads away from the hand made category and like many of the lamps for sale on etsy (@MaryJanet ) are not really hand made at all.
https://www.etsy.com/market/wood_lamp
There are Driftwood lamps, many of which are sand or shot blasted and sprayed finish and not a lot of woodworking involved. Some are lovely but I find it hard to call them hand made or hand crafted.
https://www.driftwooddecor.com/driftwood-table-lamps
I've had a good look on the Internet and can't find anything like the stuff I make.
The exceptional pieces of woodwork with art leanings, including many pieces of furniture at the galleries are thousands of Euros!
This guy makes lamps. They are turned on a wood lathe. He doesn't show the prices.
http://jameseddywoodworks.com/brovehillcherryl.html
Here's another. the thing is it's the shades that have the work put into them.
https://stuartlambledesigns.com/product-category/table-lamps/
This guy makes lovely lamps but they are definitely product and turned on a lathe.
https://lampmaker.co.uk/?page_id=701

So, this is the problem that many of the artists/craftspeople I speak to have. If they make single pieces that are unique then really they are doing art, even if the art has a function. Not many people want to pay for art. You can get some lovely prints of pictures for example and modern machining produces some very high quality products at incredibly low prices.
I've been told by the more successful artists where I live that my prices are way too low. They sell individual unique pieces for hundreds of Euros, but they have galleries that show to those who can afford to pay. I'm not sure I'm keen on the idea that art should only be available to the well off.

Having spent hours and hours on a commissioned lamp last year, only to have the client moan and try to haggle about the price and finally not take the lamp, I decided to set a minimum price of 100 Euros. Their lamp for example took 43 hours of work and I asked for 150 Euros for it which I thought was very reasonable. It was a lovely lamp and got sold in the UK at the asking price by a delighted buyer a few months later.

This lamp is called Adoration. There are few pictures elsewhere in this thread.
The lamp took a couple of months to complete. It's about as close as I get to outright art.
The two pieces were lying in the pile I have outside. The plump (Fat is none PC now apparently :p ) piece looked like a bit of old root but had the basic shape you can see in the picture. The slim piece :p was due ot go on the fire! I just happened to pick them both up together and in the rough orientation they are on the stand. I knew instantly what to do with them but I had no idea if I could make it work.
The base is what took the time. All the black is inlaid slate paste and getting it so the corners didn't break out and at a decent finish was incredibly difficult. I made three bases before I got it right.:oops:
View attachment 2176035

View attachment 2176036

View attachment 2176042

View attachment 2176043

This lamp is called Strobe.
It's mainly Box Wood which is ideal for these construction style lamps.
Both these lamps need to be seen and touched. The pictures I take do not do them justice.
Strobe is my current beside table lamp.
View attachment 2176037

View attachment 2176038

View attachment 2176039

View attachment 2176040

View attachment 2176041
My 11-year-old wandered over as I was looking at the pictures of Strobe. "That's so cool!" My father-in-law makes furniture and cabinets from wood off their land so the kids have an appreciation for fine woodwork. When we next visit my aunt and cousins in Barcelona maybe a lamp can come home with us!

When we next visit my aunt and cousins in Barcelona maybe a lamp can come home with us!
Yes one certainly should!!

Their lamp for example took 43 hours of work and I asked for 150 Euros for it which I thought was very reasonable.
Less than €3.50 per hour???? I think that is quite UNREASONABLE, far too little for your work. Now if you chose to sell it for that price to someone with limited means I could see it.

Yes one certainly should!!

Less than €3.50 per hour???? I think that is quite UNREASONABLE, far too little for your work. Now if you chose to sell it for that price to someone with limited means I could see it.
I was thinking that too. At least €10 per hour. Preferably €15.

My 11-year-old wandered over as I was looking at the pictures of Strobe. "That's so cool!" My father-in-law makes furniture and cabinets from wood off their land so the kids have an appreciation for fine woodwork. When we next visit my aunt and cousins in Barcelona maybe a lamp can come home with us!
When I've done fairs it's the children and teenagers that like the construction lamps most.
Tell your 11 year old they have impeccable taste.:p:D

Back
Top Bottom