share coop pics!

This is my first coop for my 6 chickens ( when they were still free ranging, later on I moved them to a bigger coop and satrted keeping them in a fenced area.

This is an old coop or shed that was there before we moved in. The insides were leaking so we fixed that, added a fence, and finally put the chickens in the coop. Lately 2 trees fell on it so I will be using the smaller coop.

This is a picture before we completely fixed the coop.

this is the coop my family built this spring. its set up to house upto 22 chickens comfortably. it took a lot of weekends to build but its nice to see when i look out the window. we are proud of what we built =)

the coop is 12'x4' not counting the nesting box area. the run is 19'x12'. i let the flock free range whenever i feel it is safe. right now ive got 12 hens and a rooster.

thats what i thought and you said you can fit 22 chickens in there? because im building an 8x12 and people say i can only hold 7 chickens in it. which i don't agree with but that is just me. it is very nice and big i like it a lot.
tongue.png

thanks, i said 22 chickens comfortably, but that would honestly be pushing it in the winter. from what i understand chickens need a minimum of 2 square feet per bird in the coop alone. the more space the better. many people plan to have 4 square feet per bird witch in my opinion would be ideal. my chickens have a decent size run, and i let them free range almost every day so i feel okay with having less square feet per bird. my flock seems very healthy compared to most flocks i see in person.

My cedar Wichita bantam coop. With all 1/2 hardware cloth and one concrete block deep in the grond. As soon as I put the expanding foam in the roof ridges it will be as snake proof as I can get it. The wire stopped the neighbors lab.

Back
Top Bottom