4 days of incubation

6 days old

10 days old

13 days old

15 days old

18 days old

21 days of incubation

hours old barred rock bantam

Thank goodness for this thread! I didn't realise I could candle this early & see any development until I read this thread.

At day 6 last night, I found out that I had 4 out of 7 eggs developing! That's way more than I had hoped for. I had heard so much about how Sebrights (the breed of my rooster) have fertility issues that I wasn't expecting any of the eggs to be fertile.

I just want to thank the person who started this thread & everyone who has continued to post on it for giving me the courage to look & to know what to look for when candling my first ever batch of incubated eggs. :)

I was wondering how you can tell what the blood island is? is that what you are supposed to be seeing at day 3-7? my eggs are at day 4 but i havent seen any difference, except maybe the yolk looks more prominent and redder when candling.

What kinds of flashlights do you all use? I want to be able to see into large, thick-shelled eggs like goose eggs fairly well and the candler I have doesn't do the job very well. Some of these pictures are really breathtaking.

Hello everyone!
I have allowed two turkeys to go broody on their fertile eggs this season. First time to do this, and learning more every day. I have a question following this info....
One Wild Eastern hatched out 11 poults just as nature directed her, without any candling or interference from us. Yay! Those were hatched on Memorial Day weekend.
Sadly, nature took 7 poults the next day when we had 11 inches of rain! I'm guessing the momma didn't get them all under her for protection (they are enclosed and have a roof, but are open air on two sides).

Now, the Rio Grand turkey is currently sitting on about 12 eggs that I did candle last weekend.
I can see red veins and dark blobs in the majority, mostly like everyone has posted. I did not see a much movement, but red spider veining was seen. They had a circlular shape with spider veins that looked like a suction of veins stuck on the egg shell. I opened one to determine the findings, because I didn't see any postings that looked the same. Sadly, it was alive. Using that as my guide, I returned the eggs that looked the same, back to the turkey. In my hours of research, I still have not found any that look exactly like mine. :/

Here's my question:
What does a rotten egg look like?
I've watched a few hours of various videos and postings and no one has yet to show a truly rotten egg beyond the hatch date (none that I've found).
I had 3 eggs that were dense, solid, opaque and had a clear air sac. No red, no visible veins, no movement--cause it was too dense and dark, nothing that I could see at all. --and I'm using a very good candling light. None of these were opened.....I was not prepared to do that again after the live one.....

Can anyone confirm that these are likely rotten?
I just don't think they were close to hatching, like a lot of posts and videos show. They were solid and totally dense.
Thanks in advance for any answers you may offer!
(Please no ugly responses about opening that egg. Thanks)

Back
Top Bottom