Sharp Shinned Hawk is Lurking...

KerriChick

Songster
Aug 5, 2020
East Bay, CA
Yesterday we had what I think is a Sharp Shinned hawk dive for our Brahma! There was a huge racket and they all ran and hid(they have a covered run that is more like a pen with a tarp over the top that is not completely enclosed, but I cover the gaps and it is pretty highly hawk resistant-the hawk would have to sneak in through a tiny hole). The pullet got away ok and no chickens were harmed(just deeply rattled), but now I'm worried that the hawk will return. Hopefully it is just moving through the area. The red tails and bigger hawks we have seem to not be brave enough to come into our yard, as it is tough to navigate-we have string lights and shade sails over part of the yard, and lots of places for hiding chickens. We also have Kites but they are generally not a threat to grown chickens.

Our pullets are 26 weeks and none of them are small breeds-guessing they are all at least 5-6 pounds and still growing, so they could be killed on the ground by a small hawk but not likely carried away. I am always home and hear everything so hoping we can avoid any mishaps with supervision during free ranging.

They get very loud when I don't let them free range for at least part of the day on our grass patch-do any of you have any deterrent suggestions beyond the shiny ribbons/cds?

No roosters allowed where we live unfortunately. :(

I will keep an eye out and also keep them in their run when I cannot be out there with them. Thanks.

Yesterday we had what I think is a Sharp Shinned hawk dive for our Brahma! There was a huge racket and they all ran and hid(they have a covered run that is more like a pen with a tarp over the top that is not completely enclosed, but I cover the gaps and it is pretty highly hawk resistant-the hawk would have to sneak in through a tiny hole). The pullet got away ok and no chickens were harmed(just deeply rattled), but now I'm worried that the hawk will return. Hopefully it is just moving through the area. The red tails and bigger hawks we have seem to not be brave enough to come into our yard, as it is tough to navigate-we have string lights and shade sails over part of the yard, and lots of places for hiding chickens. We also have Kites but they are generally not a threat to grown chickens.

Our pullets are 26 weeks and none of them are small breeds-guessing they are all at least 5-6 pounds and still growing, so they could be killed on the ground by a small hawk but not likely carried away. I am always home and hear everything so hoping we can avoid any mishaps with supervision during free ranging.

They get very loud when I don't let them free range for at least part of the day on our grass patch-do any of you have any deterrent suggestions beyond the shiny ribbons/cds?

i’m with the Golden eagle Audubon society. Well, I used to be. I need to renew my membership.

is this the bird you saw?

D2BFAF88-66F6-43A7-9227-F00398043AA0.jpeg

It seems doubtful to me that a Sharpshinned Hawk will go after chickens. They usually go after small birds, like finches and Juncos in my experience.

Then again, I don’t know much about Sharp Shinned Hawks. I do know a lot about larger raptors, though.

i’m with the Golden eagle Audubon society. Well, I used to be. I need to renew my membership.

is this the bird you saw?

View attachment 2357348

It seems doubtful to me that a Sharpshinned Hawk will go after chickens. They usually go after small birds, like finches and Juncos in my experience.

Then again, I don’t know much about Sharp Shinned Hawks. I do know a lot about larger raptors, though.
I think hawk more likely to be a Coopers, otherwise not an issue.

Back
Top Bottom