shavings, paper, lizard liner...

texas_chick

Songster
10 Years
Jan 26, 2009
Texas
Okay, the more I read the less I know! LOL
Some sources say shavings right from the beginning because paper gives them splay-foot.
Others say paper first and then shavings because otherwise they'll choke on the shavings.
Can I use lizard liner (paper with little knobs on it so it has traction) for the first week and then switch to shavings?
lizardliner.jpg

(ignore lizard- just look at the liner)
Would that be a safe option? Or how should I do it?

Last edited:
texas chick, i know how you feel. i'm going with ground corncob (from petco) with a piece of burlap on top (feed store had burlap) from what i have read i think this will be good because you can take burlap out and wash it. It can also be reused on front of laying boxes for privacy. I'm a newby so you may get better info from others. Good Luck

Hmmm. The lizard liner looks like it would be great. Might not scrunch up as easily as paper towel.

I used paper towel last year. It's cheap & I used it for fire starter when it got dirty. Or you could compost it. If the lizard liner is pure paper, it would have all the same advantages (except perhaps "cheap.")

It's cheap enough and thicker than newspaper. I have a big roll of it and just cut off as much as I need for my lizard cage.
So use that for the first week and then switch?

The lizard paper should work. in my small homemade storagecontainer brooder, I use paper towels for the first week and then a paper towel base with pine flakes on top of that. I felt the advantage with the paper towels is that it is easy to simply fold up the paper towels with the pine flakes and have an easier time cleaning up..

Cheers,

topknot19

Back
Top Bottom