Shaws call duck incubation thread (hatch a wonderful(worthless to Ralphie) dux thread)

I already get pooped on, might as well get to hug some very adorable ducks in the bargain. How well do the mini coops work in winter? I have a dog house I keep thinking to adapt but it's very tiny and I have too many quackers.
So far so good with 3 bodies in each one to keep each other warm and thick pine shavings. But we don't get as cold for as long as you do of course. The little barns are super cute and I don't worry about anything getting in them at night But they are kind of a pain to keep clean.

So far so good with 3 bodies in each one to keep each other warm and thick pine shavings. But we don't get as cold for as long as you do of course. The little barns are super cute and I don't worry about anything getting in them at night But they are kind of a pain to keep clean.
I meant in regards to ventilation and health. I guess cleaning it out probably isn't an issue when there's frequent thaws, huh?

There is more ventilation than you can probably see in the video, plus it's not lined with anything so there is air flow between the pallet boards.
I worry more about them being in there in the summer actually. I try and air them out as often as possible and don't put them up till dark and make sure they are out before the sun starts cooking them.
I cut out spare pieces of tarp and put down on the floor under the shavings so when I have to do a full clean out I can pull it out and hose it off. Both sides of the roof open up on each one so I can get in there, but getting the damp stomped down shavings out the small doors in the front is a pita.
It's also a pita for anyone to put them up besides me cause ya know, stranger danger. And you can't really just herd them in. They must have their routine :old

Back
Top Bottom