She said/He said Who's right? Who's wrong? No one!

Ok. Are they better than Orpingtons in terms of laying?

Oooh that'll make some pretty chicks, I bet. :D

Better than English Orps from what I've heard, and prolly about even with American Orps... hoping to see if I can get Lav Aussies... idk... :D

Are self blue and lavender descriptions of approximately the same color or 2 different colors?

Astralorps lay about the same size, amount and color of eggs as Rhode Island Reds.

Self Blue and Lavender are the same colors... in Old English Game Bantams, Self Blue is a recognized color...

I think the Lavender term came around more because people were mixing up Self Blue with Andalusian Blue... and those colors breed differently...

Andalusian Blue is the common blue, can be bred blues, blacks and splashes... Self Blue should only be bred together and can have black bred in, but it doesn't create splash nor should it ever be mixed with Andalusian Blue... Self Blue (Lavender) is a recessive gene of black, not blue...

Clear as mud? :D ;)

Edited cuz I can't spell, lol...

Last edited:
Ok. Are they better than Orpingtons in terms of laying?

Oooh that'll make some pretty chicks, I bet. :D

I believe the Black Australorp (spelling?) has the world record. 364 eggs in a 365 day period.

Are self blue and lavender descriptions of approximately the same color or 2 different colors?

Astralorps lay about the same size, amount and color of eggs as Rhode Island Reds.

Self Blue and Lavender are the same color exactly. Recessive gene.

Better than English Orps from what I've heard, and prolly about even with American Orps... hoping to see if I can get Lav Aussies... idk... :D
Self Blue and Lavender are the same colors... in Old English Game Bantams, Self Blue is a recognized color...

I think the Lavender term came around more because people were mixing up Self Blue with Andalusian Blue... and those colors breed differently...

Andalusian Blue is the common blue, can be bred blues, blacks and splashes... Self Blue should only be bred together and can have black bred in, but it doesn't create splash nor should it ever be mixed with Andalusian Blue... Self Blue (Lavender) is a recessive gene of black, not blue...

Clear as mud? :D ;)

Edited cuz I can't spell, lol...

But Blue is black. Watered down. ;-)

But Blue is black. Watered down. ;-)

Yes, it's a dilution... but blue is laced and self blue is solid, even colored throughout the feather... :D

That's okay then- I don't mind what there calling it - if the bird has 2 copies of the lav+ gene and no bleeds or modified it called self blue

Exactly... :thumbsup

I don't have recent pics or of the Aussies yet, but this is my roo when he was 6 months...

Wow! He's gorgeous!!! I hope mine grow out that beautifully!! :love

Good luck with your project too, I'm very interested to know the result. I have 6 lav hens, 3 lav roos (for now) and the 1 black/lav split girl. They are 14 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom