She said/He said Who's right? Who's wrong? No one!

Check out this little cutie that hatched. I have no idea what color it is. It's looks white but it has chipmunk markings like a partridge and I don't think it's a paint because the black spots seem to be in a pattern, which paints would just have random spots like a Dalmatian.

Oh my! That is flippin adorable! :love

I would LOVE to think I missed the point,it's kind of hard when everything was directed to me as to what I said or didn't say and how i said it.  not directed to the forum itself.

Only directed at you because most of us have been with this thread for a very long time. Its not meant to be a personal thing at you as a person, just you as a newcomer to the thread. Make sense?

And its not the egg that we are color coding. Its the actions of the hatcher that we (we, on this thread, not some new nationwide thing lol) use to identify who is hands on, and who is hands off.

Hope this helps. You have valuable knowledge to share and I hope you continue with us....

I have 8 coops and I took all my Paints in the first coop and put them into the last coop, the next day I let everyone out, ALL of them went back into the first coop, guess they didn't like the move. I wanted them in the last coop because I have a handicap run way for them,, since they can't see very well, it's easy for them to climb the stairs to get into the nesting boxes they don't need to see because the stairs have wood on both sides to guide them but it didn't work out.

I have been able to see through green eggs for the first week, after that it's very difficult, the last week I simply look for dipping of the air cell and when it gets really close the pushing of the membrane...but that second week OH forget it.

I use my phone as a candler..

I have 8 coops and I took all my Paints in the first coop and put them into the last coop, the next day I let everyone out, ALL of them went back into the first coop, guess they didn't like the move. I wanted them in the last coop because I have a handicap run way for them,, since they can't see very well, it's easy for them to climb the stairs to get into the nesting boxes they don't need to see because the stairs have wood on both sides to guide them but it didn't work out.

I have been able to see through green eggs for the first week, after that it's very difficult, the last week I simply look for dipping of the air cell and when it gets really close the pushing of the membrane...but that second week OH forget it.

I didn't even let mine out to range today. So the run door was not open for her to get in. There's a couple spots getting low from scratching around the fence, (it's not buried-yet) so the smaller ones could possibly slide out, but I can't see her big butt sliding under.

Last hatch I could see in the greens (they were just from my momma nn) for about 5-6 days. This time I could see in hers before set but after 2 days nothing. And her daughter's which are darker and thicker shelled I couldn't een see at collection, and my light has new batteries. I can usually see aaround the air cell too to make out veins, but not this time. I got cheaper batteries though, so I suppose that could be making a difference.

Oh my! That is flippin adorable!
love.gif

Only directed at you because most of us have been with this thread for a very long time. Its not meant to be a personal thing at you as a person, just you as a newcomer to the thread. Make sense?

And its not the egg that we are color coding. Its the actions of the hatcher that we (we, on this thread, not some new nationwide thing lol) use to identify who is hands on, and who is hands off.

Hope this helps. You have valuable knowledge to share and I hope you continue with us....
Well I took it as a personal thing because all the comments were directed to me, I felt like I was under attack for just giving an opinion. Couldn't understand exactly what I had done... I wasn't trying to come on as I'm right, your wrong, just saying what has happened to me in the past and it was horriffic.. I haven't quite gotten over it yet. Seeing all those babies gone. OMG,

NO hard feelings though.

I get the color coding is hands on hands off, I say "the egg" because it's hands on the egg or hands off the egg, it's all about the egg. LOL

Last edited:
So a nice woman called me for some silkie chicks. She left a nice message and when I called her back to find out how many chicks she was interested in, she wouldn't give me a straight answer. Then she says she only wants female silkies. So I explain that silkies are difficult to sex but I can call her in a few months when my young ones are old enough to determine females from males. But she says no, that she only wants little chicks. So I tell her that I don't DNA test and that I do not know how to vent sex. And she says that I can easily tell the sex of chicks in a very non-invasive and free way. She would like me to get a needle and a string and hold the needle over the shoulders of my chicks. Keeping my hand perfectly still the needle will move in a circle if it's a girl and in a straight line of its a boy. She wants me to practice on my other pets and/or children and once I preform this method she will buy my female chicks. I'm not going to call her back, I'm afraid if I did do this and sold her sexed chicks she would be dropping off a few roosters on my door step in a few months!
gig.gif
OMG, that's funny!!!

Yes, my dads mom did this to me as a girl. It said 2 boys and a girl...so half right, I guess. But I would not trust it for chicks! I swear people are dying to find a way to sex silkie chicks!
I had one sex check try placed on me:

I was told to try, if you pick the chick up by the back of the neck and his feet dangle it's a boy, if they bring the feet up to there bodies it's a girl.

lol.png

I can't find hatching 101 incubator arrived happening she won't order tell monday or Tuesday. Thank you for everyone helping my stomach is turning and I haven't even got.eggs reading how to set this bad boy up right now it came with thermometer to calibrate with how do I calibrate humidity also. It is a.Circulated incubator as well

Hatching 101: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101
I believe you need a seperate hygrometer to calibrate and I would definitely recommend getting one. Even a cheap one can be calibrated. They are usually sold in the reptile section at pet stores or you can get one online.

So, I went to lock up the chickens. Went to coop one first and shut their door went to do a head count and came up one short. A silkie is missing. I have one that keeps getting out, but she never goes far, usually hands aroud the back door. So I go and close up coop 2 and go in to do a head count. I'm one over. (Not counting the banty that came up missing.) On the top roost sits my missing silkie from coop 1. Now, I know how she got out of the run for her coop, just not sure how she managed to get in coop 2.  I guess she decided she wanted a change. :confused:

2 more hours and I am on day 3. Going to click a few pics and see what's going on during last turn. I already know that I cant see in the green eggs. Not even a little, so they are in till the end unless they smell or leak and with the thickness of those shells, I be surprised if that happens.  This is going to be a long 3 weeks!!!

That is weird! How'd she get in there?! Did that Banty come home?

I have 8 coops and I took all my Paints in the first coop and put them into the last coop, the next day I let everyone out, ALL of them went back into the first coop, guess they didn't like the move.  I wanted them in the last coop because I have a handicap run way for them,, since they can't see very well, it's easy for them to climb the stairs to get into the nesting boxes they don't need to see because the stairs have wood on both sides to guide them but it didn't work out.  

I'd like to see pics of your paints if you have any.

I was told to try, if you pick the chick up by the back of the neck and his feet dangle it's a boy, if they bring the feet up to there bodies it's a girl. 

:lol:

I read this when I first came on BYC. A young person made a post that a farmer came to her school and told the kids that's how you sex chicks and she was so excited to try it!

Hatching 101: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101
I believe you need a seperate hygrometer to calibrate and I would definitely recommend getting one. Even a cheap one can be calibrated. They are usually sold in the reptile section at pet stores or you can get one online.
That is weird! How'd she get in there?! Did that Banty come home?
I'd like to see pics of your paints if you have any.
I read this when I first came on BYC. A young person made a post that a farmer came to her school and told the kids that's how you sex chicks and she was so excited to try it!
I don't know how she got in there. Nope, she never came back.

I would LOVE to think I missed the point,it's kind of hard when everything was directed to me as to what I said or didn't say and how i said it. not directed to the forum itself.
hoping we can all set aside any misunderstandings and move forward, and enjoy sharing hatching experiences.

lol.png
Somehow, that seems to be a bit on the cruel side to me. Chicks not designed like kittens and puppies to be picked up that way. I wonder what my feet would be doing if someone picked me up by the scruff of the neck!!!

Back
Top Bottom