She said/He said Who's right? Who's wrong? No one!

So it says water cyrstals on package and I look in garden. Is it made by miracle grow. My machines would spike on a gallon of water. I usually use the bottom of the incubator the top is usually so full of eggs. I do 44 at a time in incubator. So you put it in the distilled water you get at market and you add it with your sryringe or squirt bottle depends how much time I have on lock down. The other one I just pour a little squirt bottle of the water and pour it around the turning try's. I've tryed to use paper towels before but it would spike.so I stoped. I have rocks and penny's at the bottom of incubator . The humidy sponge was to replace the two sponges at bottom of the incubator . And maybe put one in the fence area of dog house. So if it got low I could help . It high in back and low in from in dog house on temp and humidity.
I use water crystals and have not had an issues, you don't let them eat it, just put it in a cup to help maintain the humidity.

Question -,I have tried in the baby duck coop to put down diatomaciuse earth in baby coop and cinnamon down. It gets so wet and muddy in there. Dirt floors . It will not stay to keep ants out of that coop. Older ducks have part side walk and part dirt floors it's a little better. How much of it do we need to continue to use. On a daily bases .to support all my coops. 5 lb just yoused it covered all but one coop. If you or cleaning regular your wasting it.less then 24 hrs later.
DE should not be put down unless your coop is dry, you should try using something like PDZ to dry the coop then put the DE down..

Ok, I have a weird situation. My broody duck should be about to hatch her ducklings any day now. I'm not positive of the date, because she laid the eggs over a couple of weeks, and I noted that she started sitting more consistently on May 9th/10th, guessing a due date of around June 6th (in 3 more days!) but actually it could happen any time, because she sat on them partially over those initial 2 weeks. So anyway....

I found an egg in her pool yesterday. Submerged, but intact membrane, almost no shell. Pieces of shell around the air cell end, but the rest was just membrane. I assumed she had just laid it. I know it wasn't there the day before. So I took it inside to dispose of it. As I was about to drop it in my kitchen sink garbage disposal, I realized it was kinda dark and heavy. So I candled it, and it was one of the eggs she had been sitting on!!! It was obviously dead, very soaked from laying in the pool, but it looked to be a very developed duckling. I haven't opened it yet. Was debating about it, but I know I will do it this evening. (probably within the plastic bag?)

But why would she have done this? It could not have been easy for her to get it in the pool. Its probably 60 feet away from her nest, plus the sides of the pool are 15" high, they have steps to get in and out. So how did she get it in there, and why?? Anybody have any ideas or thoughts?

@RavynFallen @Lacrystol @Pyxis @TurksPoultry

I'm a little late but what did you end up doing? DONT discard or discount an egg that has been submerged in water. I have successfully hatched them out.

It turns out the water wells in the incubator don't have quite high enough walls. I have 1 drowned chick and about 7 pips this morning. I'll have to work on making new wells for next time.

I still need it damp in there. Tell I get a fan/ evaporative cooler/ mister in there. I trying for the 18 th. But with car it might have to be pushed a little later.

I still need it damp in there. Tell I get a fan/ evaporative cooler/ mister in there. I trying for the 18 th. But with car it might have to be pushed a little later.

If it's going to be wet in there, whether you keeping it damp or with a mister (which honestly you really shouldn't be putting in their coop anyway) then stop wasting your money on diatomaceous earth. It only works when it's dry. If you're getting it wet you're throwing your money away on it.

My friend has fan . She's going to give me. For chickens. How do I install it to make it safe so they can't get to it. Knock it over. But still cool them off. Probably Saturday I will get it.

My friend has fan . She's going to give me. For chickens. How do I install it to make it safe so they can't get to it. Knock it over. But still cool them off. Probably Saturday I will get it.
Have it on the outside of the coop blowing in a window, or build a partition out of wood and chicken wire and put the fan behind it. I have my fan on the other side of a hardware cloth wall and I turn it on every afternoon once the temp goes over 90. I spray down the run about every other day so the chickens can dig down into the damp earth and the evaporation helps keep them cool.

Depending on your coop size, you could also mount it near the ceiling out of reach.

Back
Top Bottom