She said/He said Who's right? Who's wrong? No one!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by AmyLynn2374, May 8, 2015.

1. mixedUPturk

mixedUPturk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2015
    Zachary, LA
    How many and what kind! LOL! Lets see... Birds, i have 6 a&m quail, 3 BR turkeys, 4 GSL includin their roo, 5 Silkies two r roos one needs to go, and i Had a good home but idk now, then i got 6 in my backyard mix flock, someone gave em to me just didnt want to deal w em :(. I think theres a pair of welsummers in there as well as a pair of EE but idk for sure... I am proud to own 3 rescued pitt bulls, 2 cats, 3 bunnies, 2 aquariums, one is 90 gals, and 4 very amazing snakes, species or color morphs who arent the norm :)

Im kind of nuts about animals... They mean the world to me. I had no idea i could tollerate birds at all, until some gave me my first pair of WL hens, about 3-4 months ago? As Pam said, the chicken math began... So i have 16 pekin duck eggs that im sure about right now :D

2. mixedUPturk

May 28, 2015
    Zachary, LA
    WV Im curious too about ur plans w ur turkey? Whats ur "flock" look like? My uncle asked me if he kept a jenny, if i would let him bring her here for breeding so thats Really in air around here! Im not crazy about some of the ways he does things and i may tell him no strickly on biosecurity idk yet

3. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds! Premium Member

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    I did hatch Gemma, along with my 4 ducks, back in March. I had 4 turkey eggs, but she was the only one that made it. My plan was originally to give her to my SIL, but I just fell in love with her. I have looked for her a mate, but haven't yet found the Mr. Right. [​IMG] Actually, hubby has been looking more than I have. So she lives with my chickens at the moment. My SIL did recently buy some poults, so Gemma may still end up with her. If I can find the right Tom, I may keep a pair.

Maybe @WalnutHill can answer this -- would it be better to wait until she is older, and get an adult Tom, or get one sooner? She's about 17 weeks now.

4. WVduckchick

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop

Wow, that sounds like a nice collection! My plans for my lone turkey ^^ see my reply to Ruby! haha

The rest of my current flock is - 8 golden comet girls, 2 white silkies (sex still unsure, but fairly certain hens), 10 lavender orpingtons, 4 Swedish ducks, the turkey, and my newest babies - 3 Polish and 2 bantam cochins -- all these are in my backyard.

At my camp/farm (about 45 minutes from my house) are my Dark Brahma and EE Roosters. These 2 boys are anxiously awaiting the comet girls! LOL Eventually all of my LF and ducks will go there, and I will keep the bantams at my house. That's the current plan, but they are all still fairly young, so its subject to change on a whim! LOL My original plan was 4-6 ducks. Period. [​IMG]

5. scflock

scflock Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2015
    Upstate South Carolina
    [​IMG]
    I'm back! What did I miss? Guess I'll have to go back and multi quote...

1 person likes this.
  6. scflock

scflock Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2015
    Upstate South Carolina
    After all I've done for you... [​IMG]

You could not pay me enough to keep those things
    And this is exactly why [​IMG]

Nothing. You're team red. You're a lost cause

If you hide, it takes away the power. It's like you feel bad for doing it. Makes them perceive you as weak
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

It hurt me worse than it hurt you [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  7. mixedUPturk

May 28, 2015
    Zachary, LA
    Haha! Right! plans and how they change!! I cant free range a whole lot, so i struggle with trying to keep as few in each coop as possible, and moving them on fresh grass about once a week. Who needs a lawn mower?! I had seen mention about a camp and thats flipn Awesome! I wish i could have more of the cutesie things u have! I cant get over a broody polish i saw recently ;) my flock is all give mes and rescues. Only the turkeys and GSL i bought. U have a nice flock though time spent putting it togther... Im so new lol!

Im tellin about the second time someone gave me chickens: i decided i wanted a whole slew, and i bought a book, subscribed here... I enjoy having a hands on approch to my meals and its given me alot more respect for the farming world. I had never thought about my passion for animals and how it is trancending to livestock before i got those hens. This whole little world Amazes Me Everyday!

1 person likes this.
  8. WalnutHill

WalnutHill Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 16, 2014
    SE Michigan
    I'd find a slightly younger, smaller tom poult. But let me warn you that 1 tom to 1 hen is very hard on the hen, at least with a "randy" tom like mine. He's at it all day every day.

Getting a breeding age tom before she is old enough will be extra rough on her, but you would have the opportunity to determine if the tom was a gentleman or not before you pick him up. I won't keep a forceful tom, there are too many gentle ones out there to deal with one that beats up the girls.

9. mixedUPturk

May 28, 2015
    Zachary, LA
    Sc, Im proud to support Amy :p

I dont need U! Lots of Nice Friendly pple teach me ;)

Still purple, aside from turning, and candling, and slight squealing noises... fri i will be redrawing air cells and assessing my situation

I bet u were Adorably infatuated w ur first clutch too! Admit it!

10. WVduckchick

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Awesome advice! Thank you! I did see an ad on CL for a pair, slightly older than her. But I think I will start by looking for a younger tom or pair, and hope for a gentleman.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by