She said/He said Who's right? Who's wrong? No one!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by AmyLynn2374, May 8, 2015.

1. mixedUPturk

mixedUPturk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2015
    Zachary, LA
    I love it!! Me and my 3 kids rented a house on the end of a dirt road with property. The house came with a cat, that the previous owners had left. My 7 yr old has a bearded dragon and my 9 year old has a Florida King snake. I decided to hatch some pets that would hopefully pay for themselves in eggs. So I currently have 2, 9-wk old white silkies and 7, 5-wk old buff/black silkies. (And I just hatched peachicks). I definetly plan on hatching 3/4 call ducks in the spring. I'm debating on hatching quail eggs. But I wouldn't really want to keep them. Maybe keep a pair and sell the rest. Do quails actually sell??

Im telling you, the turkeys are my absolute favorite but the ducks give them a run for their money! I totally reccomend to anyone w the space to look at turkeys. Ducks are a mess but i cant ever get over them i used to have two and i Need more Ducks! Im looking at some cayunga for sale :D its never good for the feed bill when i open up a new pen... Anyway! If you havent had them, theyre a rampid mess but i found mine worth the work of dry pens and a water On a Wire Platform, (then they cant make a mud hole w it!) i hope you like your adventure! Ive been following your Peachicks im sure i dont want any because i grew up with some up the st, and im glad to get the imprinting info because i will be one to remove them from my immediate surrounding because of it if i hatch them.

Im totally on the same page as u w ur neighbor! His animals arent on their death beds, they just cant Thrive the way we let ours do. Everyone has their way and i just learned a few things that i Wont do...

2. RubyNala97

RubyNala97 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2015
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Since we were talking turkeys this morning, I wanted to share this story. My neighbor has a little farm. And everyday in the evening I walk over and hang with his animals. He has only one turkey. And I really like this turkey but he used to be scared of me. So everyday I would make it a point to talk to him and throw him some bread. Well this week he started coming up to me when he'd see me coming and the past two days he's eating out of my hand! Doesn't it feel like such an accomplishment when you gain an animals trust!?! Here he is:
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. WalnutHill

WalnutHill Overrun With Chickens

Mar 16, 2014
    SE Michigan
    Pretty little Royal Palm! Offer him dandelion leaves...

4. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds! Premium Member

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    I guess I missed this while I was typing earlier... interesting, let us know how it goes!

True... he does get very excited!

Adorable! I want some!

You fit right in here. I'm glad you came along...

Yes, he's gorgeous!
    (I'm searching CL for more now. We also have a farmer's ad bulletin, I need to pick up a new one today)

5. RubyNala97

Apr 9, 2015
    Hudson Valley, NY
    That's awesome! I didn't realize you just had the boys there. They are good test subjects! ;) The kids music teacher admitted to me that she took her extra roosters that she couldn't get rid of and let them go behind the poultry tent at the county fair!! Lol!! When you bring the girls there then you'll have to collect the eggs every couple days when you visit, right? Aren't you dying for your hens to start laying and eventually hatch their own babies??!! Next spring is going to be better then XMass at my house!!!

6. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Sure chickens do, especially if they are sole hatchers...lol This is my little roo from my failed hatch. The only hatcher. If he wasn't out with us, he wasn't happy...lol

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Adorable!

Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
  7. WalnutHill

WalnutHill Overrun With Chickens

Mar 16, 2014
    SE Michigan
    Cotton balls with feet!

8. RubyNala97

Apr 9, 2015
    Hudson Valley, NY
    I will try this today!! It's funny watching his snood hang way over his beak then in a second he pulls it up and it's gone. I have to admit he's one of my favorites over there. We gobble back & forth to each other!

9. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    That's sweet and he's pretty.

LOL. Can you get a videa of that?

10. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds! Premium Member

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Sweet progess pics. He definitely loves your boy!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by