She said/He said Who's right? Who's wrong? No one!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by AmyLynn2374, May 8, 2015.

1. WalnutHill

WalnutHill Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 16, 2014
    SE Michigan
    I am about to embark on a bird rescue. A woman about 10 miles away who is connected to me through the "pysanky lady" who takes all my dud turkey eggs is losing her rental home (honestly it should be condemned and burned by the fire department, but that's another story). She has one BBW hen, 5 BBB poults, several Pekin and a Rouen duck, a monstrous pot bellied pig, and a nice assortment of pure bred chickens run together (barred rock, partridge rock, WCB Polish, Ameraucana) and three dogs. She needs to rehome them immediately. I'll take the turkeys but I don't have a second quarantine pen I can use for chickens, and have no interest in the ducks other than dinner nor in the hog other than bacon.

I haven't rescued any birds since I had only a few birds and many empty pens. This will be interesting.

2. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For the Birds!! Premium Member

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Ok, I'm sorry... have a big hug [​IMG]

(But you did smack me first thing this morning! I won't forget that!)

3. WalnutHill

WalnutHill Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 16, 2014
    SE Michigan
    The pair may be a good idea. The condition of the hen will tell a good deal about the manners of the tom if they are breeding age, and the hen's activities will reinforce it. If she is at peace when the tom is around, then either they aren't yet breeding or he is gentle. If she squats for him or for you, then they most likely are breeding whether or not they are old enough to be successful.

4. WVduckchick

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Such logical stuff... I don't know why the simple stuff escapes me sometimes... [​IMG] Thanks again

5. scflock

scflock Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2015
    Upstate South Carolina
    I was, it's well documented [​IMG]
    I'm still excited about every hatch, but not until they hatch. That part is up to them[​IMG]

6. scflock

Jan 13, 2015
    Upstate South Carolina
    Oh please, a [​IMG] is better than coffee to get you going in the mornings

1 person likes this.
  7. scflock

Jan 13, 2015
    Upstate South Carolina
    Had some new faces in the silkie pen when I got home last night [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This one is kinda blurry, but too cute not to post
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. RubyNala97

RubyNala97 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2015
    Hudson Valley, NY

I love it!! Me and my 3 kids rented a house on the end of a dirt road with property. The house came with a cat, that the previous owners had left. My 7 yr old has a bearded dragon and my 9 year old has a Florida King snake. I decided to hatch some pets that would hopefully pay for themselves in eggs. So I currently have 2, 9-wk old white silkies and 7, 5-wk old buff/black silkies. (And I just hatched peachicks). I definetly plan on hatching 3/4 call ducks in the spring. I'm debating on hatching quail eggs. But I wouldn't really want to keep them. Maybe keep a pair and sell the rest. Do quails actually sell??

My neighbor/landlord has a small farm (he feeds my addiction) but I don't agree with the way he does things either. I feel bad for a lot of his animals. But I keep my mouth shut and try to respect that each person has their own way. Lets just say I've observed what NOT to do with my animals...

I have to ask, how do you take care of the animals at the camp? Does someone stay on the grounds? You're gonna have a hard time moving your babies over! But that will give you more space at home to hatch more!! Yay!

9. RubyNala97

RubyNala97 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2015
    Hudson Valley, NY
    That's awesome that you are taking them! I wish I had more coops/pens. I do feel guilty hatching sometimes when I know their are tons of animals out there that need a good home!
    OMG! I could watch them all day!! Thanks for posting the pics!! I love them!! They look like such good moms! Where did you get your original silkies from? Did you hatch them? They are beautiful! What are you going to do with all the babies?

10. WVduckchick

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Fair question! It doesn't feel that far from my home... we go any time we feel the urge, and spend most weekends there. We are there quite often! So they always have food and water. There is one older gentleman that lives nearby that we can call on, and my son lives about 10 minutes from there, if an emergency arises. Plus we have the automatic door on the run, so they can get out and forage. Yes, there are some predators, but so far (knock on wood), the roosters stay close...(ok, they were originally "test subjects" lol) I have no doubt that I may lose a few, but if they are smart, they can survive. Oh, and I have cameras monitoring the place!
    But yes, I don't think I could ever move them all, and not have some at my house now. Thus, the bantams! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by