She said/He said Who's right? Who's wrong? No one!

Quote: Thank you!
It's a boy! We are very excited!
wee.gif

Last edited:
Here are a few better shots of a few of my birds:

Narragansetts going away today:

Barred EE:

Turkey project on the left, same age half-sibling on the right:

This EE pullet just feathering in with the next batch:

I love never knowing what they are going to look like! That's one of the Japanese Black x OEG bantams in front of her. The gold bird is about 6" tall.

Here are a few better shots of a few of my birds:

Narragansetts going away today:

Barred EE:

Turkey project on the left, same age half-sibling on the right:

This EE pullet just feathering in with the next batch:

I love never knowing what they are going to look like! That's one of the Japanese Black x OEG bantams in front of her. The gold bird is about 6" tall.
I just don't know that I could do turkeys. Is there any reason for keeping them other than food?

I had 5 children and I have 11 grand-children and one of my grand-daughters is going to make me a great-grandma Sept. 8th. 

Nice! Congrats!!

I just don't know that I could do turkeys. Is there any reason for keeping them other than food?

Oh you should try them. They are really sweet, interesting birds. Gemma is the first one to speak to me every morning, and also when I get home in the evenings! I think she knows the sound of my garage door, I swear.

Turkeys are SO much more interactive than chickens. They are more curious, friendlier, more talkative. They will greet you because they are glad to see you, not because they think you have a handful of treats. As babies, they are cuddly and clingy yet social with their own kind. As adults, they will gladly sit outside your door and wait for you to come visit, or would be just as happy to come inside and sit on the couch and snack on popcorn with you. You can mix many different ages of turkeys in the same pen and with few exceptions they all get along. You can even bring in new flock members and it generally goes very well. Plus they are noble, agile, stately birds with beautiful colors and great foraging/free ranging skills.

Need more reasons?

If we swap eggs in spring, I'll send you some turkey eggs. They can eat what chicks eat and can grow up with chicks as well.

For me, it's a hobby I would be doing anyway, so if I can supplement it with sales it's just a feather in the cap

X2
It's a hobby for me too. I definitely didn't go into hatching with the mindset I'm going to make money...lol I am hoping though that next year I can cover the cost of feed through egg sales and maybe any extra chicks I decide to sell. Or at least close to covering so that my "hobby" doesn't break me.

I know..lol I think that's the hardest thing for me. Questioning wether they are going to have as good as a home as I would provide for them. I think if I could hatch and sell and know they are going to great "homes" that I wouldn't think twice about it.

X2 again ;)

That beard is the most anyone will ever see of me :gig
You say boy, too?
:smack

I knew it would get to you that the beard got pointed out! :gig

I've spent maybe $100 on my chickens, and then $20 for my pigeon pair. And then I've made $80+ dollars off selling chickens and eggs. I haven't spent a dollar on coop or feed or feeders or waters. Parents and grandparents rock. :D Plus, my pigeons are multiplying through breeding and I can use them to "buy" other pigeons or rabbits from my neighbor.

I'm a grown up and my grandpa helped me buy the coop! So I agree, grandparents are the best! What kind of pigeons do you have? My grandfather races homing pigeons for big $$$.

Pullet for sure :thumbsup
Thank goodness my wife is along for the ride with me. She enjoys it as much as I do, and I had a serious chicken math malfunction. I said no more breeds this year. That was before the BCM and Ameraucana. Now I'm trying to figure out where I will build the olive egger coop. And the coop for the second line of BCM. And the coop for the second line of Ameraucanas...

Someone help me, please:hit

Well, it could be worse... At least my addiction is chickens. The rest of the men in my family like meth :gig

Oh my god...you are too funny!! I can't believe you said that! Hahahaha

Thanks.  I got her (and another that looks very much like her) about 10 weeks ago.  The guy estimated them at 12 weeks, but since they have grown, I believe they were a few weeks younger than he thought.  I know they lay a little later than others, so I guess their age will remain a mystery, but I'm glad to know that yall think pullet. 

Their wattles are very dark blue, and the ear lobes are gorgeous color. They aren't SQ of course (one doesn't even have leg feathers!) and they aren't even very nice chicks, but they are pretty.  LOL

The Roos have streamers that come out the back of the head. I got a video of my little cockerel crowing today. I'll have to sneak back on my sons youtube account and post it! It's a pathetic crow but I'm happy it's not super loud!

Nice! Congrats!!
Oh you should try them. They are really sweet, interesting birds. Gemma is the first one to speak to me every morning, and also when I get home in the evenings! I think she knows the sound of my garage door, I swear.

I would love to hatch a pair of turkeys!

Turkeys are SO much more interactive than chickens.  They are more curious, friendlier, more talkative.  They will greet you because they are glad to see you, not because they think you have a handful of treats.  As babies, they are cuddly and clingy yet social with their own kind.  As adults, they will gladly sit outside your door and wait for you to come visit, or would be just as happy to come inside and sit on the couch and snack on popcorn with you.  You can mix many different ages of turkeys in the same pen and with few exceptions they all get along.  You can even bring in new flock members and it generally goes very well.  Plus they are noble, agile, stately birds with beautiful colors and great foraging/free ranging skills.

Need more reasons?

If we swap eggs in spring, I'll send you some turkey eggs.  They can eat what chicks eat and can grow up with chicks as well.  

Walnut, I'll buy a few hatching eggs from you next spring!!

NT, good to know we share "about the same age!"
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally Posted by FridayYet

.... When I got married at 19, they said it would never last.
......................................................................................
I married my hubby when I was 18. We celebrate #41 this year.

For those who've asked, my trip to Guatemala was memorable. I went as part of a team of 12. We visited a number of villages and did vision screening, provided eye glasses to 100 people. Spent a lot of time with the kids, playing soccer and other games, face painting, finger nail polish, bead and paper wordless books, just generally spent time interacting with them, and loving on them. One of our team members is a motivational speaker, and gave a 4 hour women's conference based on the story of Gideon, topic of trust. 3 mornings spent digging a hole for a septic tank in heavy clay.Some villages couldn't be visited b/c of teacher strikes going on, with protests in the streets. They had to turn back from one village b/c they were burning tires in the streets. Very hot... unbearably so. I was pleased to see such diversity in poultry genetics. In spite of the flocks running wild, and freely interbreeding for generations, the genetic diversity remains intact. Saw lots of birds that would be called: Naked necks, barred rocks, rumpless araucanas, easter eggers, RIR. Roosters were incredible, and took very good care of their hens. A lot of tid-bitting going on! One hen came into our dining room one night while we were eating supper. Of course, she came, and settled under my feet! After she was chased out by the proprietress, I snuck her the rest of my bread. Unfortunately, Montezuma came to visit me mid way through the trip, and came back with me. Just now getting over that. We survived tarantula, and ant invasions in our rooms, non functional air conditioning, I had an ant invasion in my bed one night: found the sheet covered in little red ants that bite with a nasty sting. Was thankful for our resident gecko in our room to help deal with the insects. We survived travel days up to 10 hours, and the last day of travel being 22 hours... which was made extra difficult by Montezuma's persecution of our team! Guatemala is an incredible country, beauty not to be matched any where else, but such poverty and squalor. The people are incredible. So happy, in spite of their circumstances.

Back
Top Bottom