She said/He said Who's right? Who's wrong? No one!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by AmyLynn2374, May 8, 2015.

1. scflock

scflock Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2015
    Upstate South Carolina
    I totally agree. That was my exact experience, and the results were horrible. I thought you just plugged it in and set the eggs. They're easy to hatch, right? I mean, really, look how many they have in stock. People wouldn't be buying them if they didn't work, right?
    I was so discouraged that I gave up hatching for almost a year, threw the LG in the trash. I'm surprised the trash can didn't burst into flames [​IMG]
    People can be successful with them, but they should definitely come with a much more detailed instruction manual. You know that far more people buy them, fry eggs, and give up than keep trying and learning from places like BYC

edit: You know, I forgot there was a whole forum here. Maybe I should go out there once in a while...

Last edited: Jul 22, 2015
  2. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    LOL

But it's true. That's how I ruined my very first hatch. Bought a brand new thermometer for the incubator, never thought to check it for accuracy- I trusted the product and when it was over and too late I found that it was 6 degrees off. It's the reason my roo has leg problems-from the delayed development of the temp being so low.

3. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    They manuals should also say (especially where humidity is concerned) this is not a guide to hatching. Please seek outside research to improve your hatch rate.

1 person likes this.
  4. RubyNala97

RubyNala97 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2015
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Exactly!! When I talked to the breeder I wanted to order eggs from she emailed me and said "calibrate your thermometer/hygrometer before you get your eggs". I had already been doing research (and luckily had ordered the Brinsea) but I looked up calibrating after she said that and that lead to the hatching 101 by Sally sunshine. I read the whole thing like 3 times before my eggs arrived. That article should, in essence come with all incubator manuals!!

5. scflock

Jan 13, 2015
    Upstate South Carolina
    Even my Brinsea had to be adjusted for temp. I didn't have the deformed chicks that I got in the LG, but I had slow and delayed hatches. I had no idea how the minute changes affected the embryos. I put my disgust with LG right up there with the hatchery that sold me my first "Americanas"

6. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds! Premium Member

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Definitely seems to be the general consensus about ANY store-bought incubator. The instructions make it sound so simple! The humidity on my unit is over 20% low!! And I only just discovered that my temp has a calibration function on it. The instructions mention nothing about calibrating anything! I had adjusted it to suit my needs, but it actually does have a way to calibrate it. Haha!

7. scflock

Jan 13, 2015
    Upstate South Carolina
    I will say that the Brinsea instructions are much, much more detailed, and they recommend double checking temp and humidity. They include a simple candling chart, and explain what the issues could be for certain scenarios in egg development. Kind of like a trouble shooting guide. LG says "plug it in, 50% humidity, good luck"

8. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    I found that article very helpful as well and recommended it highly. The assited hatching article is very valuable as well. Plus I push my own too with the styros especially...lol Read read read. That is my philosophy. When I knew I was pregnant I spent the next 9 months with my nose stuck in pregnancy books and I feel the same about anything you want to dod well. You can never be too informed (as long as the info is correct.)

One of the many differences between $60 and $300...lol Seriously though, if incubator manufacturers were more responsible they would provide better hatching information or at least some resources for finding it. I'm sure BYC wouldn't mind being addressed in incubator manuals. [​IMG]

9. scflock

Jan 13, 2015
    Upstate South Carolina
    I read a lot, especially about my hobbies. The problem I ran into with incubating was I did my reading after the fact. I think BYC should be referenced in manuals, but LG will never do it because they get blasted in here. It's a shame, too, because so many people buy from TSC, and those things are so available. I love TSC, and buy most of my supplies there, but I would never buy my incubator or chicks from there. Well, let me ammend that. If I just wanted a mixed bag of layers, I wouldn't mind buying from TSC, but if people knew how many people were actually breeding chickens, there are so many more options for better birds. I think TSC capitalizes on the impulse buy.
    Yes, for $300-400 you expect better quality, but at least you do get it. It was worth the money for my situation. Sure wish I could build a dependable BrinZea, like some people [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  10. sideWing

sideWing Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2015
    Utah

I talked to a guy a few weeks ago that has 4 sportsmans and charges $1 an egg, hatch or not. He sets every Thursday. He hatched thousands in the last year. Has a lot of repeat customers that do not want to hassle with it. He turns a lot of revenue doing it. No contracts, just good old country handshakes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by