She said/He said Who's right? Who's wrong? No one!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by AmyLynn2374, May 8, 2015.

1. FridayYet

FridayYet Innocent Bystander

Mar 3, 2011
    The Land of Enchantment
    I'm pretty good with my chicken budget. (so far).

I like to go on vacations and run up to Denver for long weekends with the kids/grandkids. Therefore, the chickens need to be fairly self-sufficient. If any of the OE eggs hatch, the Legbars will be the first to go into the crockpot in the fall with one of the Orloff roosters and any OE cockerels.

2. scflock

scflock Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2015
    Upstate South Carolina
    5 gallon gravity fed waterers will let me leave for 4 days at a time, more if the neighbor happens to like me that week[​IMG]

3. sideWing

sideWing Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2015
    Utah
    What do you mean by single mating? I read an old Wyandotte APA book and they talked about single and double matings. Single meant taking the best of the cock and hen and hoping the chicks grow to SOP, but that most show winners came from double matings. That is they have a cock line and a hen line and one of the other parents is out of SOP for type or color. Is that what your talking or do you have single sets of cocks and hens? 1 to 1 matings?

1 person likes this.
  4. FridayYet

Mar 3, 2011
    The Land of Enchantment
    I've got 1 5-gallon, one 3-gallon and two 1-gallon waterers, plus two feeding stations. They do fine for 4-5 days.

I can't really leave now because one section is 2x4 welded wire and I haven't lined the bottom of all of it with chicken wire. Need to get that done by the end of next month.

5. FridayYet

Mar 3, 2011
    The Land of Enchantment
    For me, I mean the 1:1 matings so I know exactly who the parents are each hatch. Maybe take the best back to their parent the following year. I have to do it that way since my numbers are so small.

I'm going to make a breeding coop & pen to keep pairs in for a couple of months every year, then it can be a grow-out pen. Everyone else can run together and if I set any eggs they will be EEs or other mixes.

1 person likes this.
  6. sideWing

sideWing Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2015
    Utah
    Similar here. I keep my EEs and RSLs in with the Marans roo since I can pick out the Marans pullet eggs for hatching Marans and EE eggs for hatching OEs.

1 person likes this.
  7. scflock

scflock Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2015
    Upstate South Carolina
    I am seriously thinking about selling off some of my breeds so I will have room to do this without building more coops and pens, but all of my chickens have been pets for years. The marans and Ameraucanas I am seeing more as a business, so I will have to make some changes next year. If I only kept the BCM, cuckoo marans, and Ams, I would have room with the pens I have to start a true breed of EEs or OEs that come from better stock than hatcheries with a couple of pens left over for the mating

8. FridayYet

Mar 3, 2011
    The Land of Enchantment
    Yup, that's also why I'm trying to keep birds that are visually different and have different colored eggs so I know what I'm going to set. Had a chance to get some nice Svart Hona eggs, but I declined since they may look to similar to my Orloff eggs. Would be fun to have though.

I'm hoping that my little Wheaten Ameraucana cockerel will stay, so he can cover the Marans (dark brown eggs) for OEs , the WA (true blue eggs) for true Ameraucanas , and the OEs (green eggs) for OE/EE/blue-green eggers. That way I can keep them all together and sell eggs/chicks at the swap for a little feed money.

9. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For the Birds!! Premium Member

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop

I'm looking for some eggs. Do you have some already lined up?

10. BlackwoodHollow

BlackwoodHollow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2014
    Northeastish Ga
    Well, we got our Incutherm Plus today. Yay.

We have had two thermometers going since the 18th when we set(one acurite digi and one on the incukit itself). Both of those have read similarly to each other and bounced somewhere between 99.5 and 100.5 °F. I haven't been able to do the ice water test on the incukit thermometer b/c it's attached to the circuit board, yada yada. I tested the digi a few days before we started incubation and it was true to temp.

When I installed the incutherm today, I was getting readings of 102 °F. I freaked and did another ice water test on the acurite and it is reading about a degree lower than it should(31 °F). I don't think I can run this test on the Incutherm Plus and won't know for sure until I get an answer back from customer service.

My question is: If it's been at 102 this whole time, are the embryos done for? I candled them and the air cells look pretty big to this newb, but what do I know? [​IMG] Our humidity has been between 25-30%. Someone decided to put rice in there for some reason. . .

I have it up to 55% now. Amidoinitrite? Am I doing ANY of this right? Did I just fry 18 eggs?! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by