She said/He said Who's right? Who's wrong? No one!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by AmyLynn2374, May 8, 2015.

1. rossfam06

rossfam06 Beak Brokers

Sep 20, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    My Coop

What breeds are you considering getting rid of?

2. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For the Birds!! Premium Member

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop

Seems like something you missed, but I can't remember what it is. I think the tequila is kicking in.

I'm still scared to let mine blend any more than just around the yard while I'm home. But you've inspired me to try!

3. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Hey!! I am not unstable!!

Yes. If it doesn't stay at/above 25% I add a wet sponge and that normally keeps it around 30% which is what seems to work best. I only go below 25% if I feel the air cells are bigger than I like and I ony do that near the end and only for a day usually.

You're welcome. :)

I would add a sponge. I've heard different theories on what's "dangerously" low and I've heard people that incubate in that "dangerously low" range, so [​IMG] I'm honestly not comfortable with less than 25%, I make exceptions in that recommendation only when someone has not monitored their air cells and near the end finds them to be significantly small. Then I recommend running dry regardless and checking every 24 hours.

I'm trying to integrate my almost seven weekers in with my 16 week birds and they are not being too nice. It might take a while. My almost 10 month roo is the only one that is really nice to them.

[​IMG]

4. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    102 shouldn't fry them, but if it's been that high and it's fan forced I would expect an early hatch. It's possible to have some issues with development if they develop too fast due to temps. If mine stays above 99 and below 102 I'm happy, but I usually have early hatches too. Luckily no deveopment problems.

I am only letting my littles in with the others if I am out there, otherwise they would get the snot beat outta them.

1 person likes this.
  5. scflock

scflock Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2015
    Upstate South Carolina
    Booted bantams mixed hybrid layers. Two of my biggest pens, but I don't know if I could sell them. Pretty attached...
    I covered the tequila with "Ross got busted"

Cracka please [​IMG]

6. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For the Birds!! Premium Member

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop

X2 to gachooks

And my littles are as big as my bigs now, but I think they still don't realize it. Even the litte roosters are huge! But they still run from the older girls :gig

Silly, I meant MY tequila was kicking in! :lau

1 person likes this.
  7. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Not the booteds!! I like those!!

LOL

8. scflock

scflock Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2015
    Upstate South Carolina
    I do too. I don't know that I could sell any of the originals. Damien was an easy decision, financially and personality wise, but I will probably end up just building more pens

1 person likes this.
  9. FridayYet

FridayYet Innocent Bystander

Mar 3, 2011
    The Land of Enchantment
    Took a week or so with the littles in a playpen in the run, a week just letting them out for s little while, and now their playpen is open and they can go in and out as they like, they still tend to nap in their safe house.

True, you do have to watch things closely at first, but after about 5 days they are mostly ignored. They have lots of hiding places in the run though, just in case.

10. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    I've been trying to come up with a way to fashion a "safe house" for them without having to go out and spend a lot of money. Today is the second day I have let them out of the brooding cages in the coop and sat in there to "protect them". I was hoping by a week they would be able to move around in the run without having the others attack them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by