She said/He said Who's right? Who's wrong? No one!

The reading that I did recently said that they don't think the vaccine makes them carriers anymore. And that they would not be contagious to any other birds. I don't know the truth, but I was just reading about this a few days ago because someone I helped on a thread asked me about the vaccine and I really didn't know.
There is one couple (like your brother) in my area, that sells breeder quality silkies. They are beautiful birds. And they know it. Straight run chicks are $10 firm. They don't sell with vaccinations. They also mock BYC and the members. They don't know it yet but next year I'd like to be their competitor and sell silkies cheaper but of the similar quality. The other people that sell silkies in my area have ugly birds. Red combs, no five toes. They must have mixed blood. So it would be interesting to see if I can find a leg up on that one couple.
Yes, it's all about getting the embryo strong enough, to grow and ultimately hatch despite the damage to air cells and the rest of the contents of the egg. It has been written that red rings in shipped eggs is the embryo starting but then unable to thrive in the damaged environment.
Soooo nice!!
stop being sooooo nice don't talk about sales plans on line. don't let the competition know your strategy. while they mock you they could be stealing your Ideals. use P.M. copy all you trust just saying

Although I have never seen anything like that, Personally I would treat that as internally pipped and needing help.
SC would Cull it.
However if i rememeber right you don't have space for looks of chicks so i don't think you'd be going into and intensive assisted hatch.

I would help it but I am not sure of the set date.... *shrug* Also, almost everyone says if you think you need to assist: Don't. So, I don't want to rush into assisting....

When my wife is sitting 2 feet from me, there is no such thing as BYC
Wise man!!!

. I actually did do a lot of reading, and it seems the opinion of whether to vaccinate or not is divided right down the middle. I chose not to, not out of laziness, but because my flock had never had issues. I read compelling debate for both sides, and went with the no vaccination policy. I have a totally closed flock, I don't take in any outside birds. I can see why you would have to vaccinate so heavily when you are showing, and constantly around birds from all over the country.
I have come to the same conclusion, and have the same policy. When I sell birds, I isolate the chosen ones in a tractor, and the customer can inspect them before choosing to buy. I've added a statement in my bill of sale that I will not take a bird back once it leaves my property due to my closed flock policy. I've also read that a population of turkeys in the area will convey some immunity to Mareks, similar to the immunity to small pox seen in Dairy Maids long ago, b/c they had contracted cow pox, which is similar enough to small pox that the body would become immune to the small pox. We have lots of wild turkeys roaming around, and I'm thankful for that!! And, like you, SC... I may live to regret my no vaccination policy, and may someday smack myself on the head... but... if that day comes, I'll cull my flock and start over. In the mean time, a sharp axe is my chosen method of treatment for all chicken illness.

It's so cheap to vaccinate that cost isn't really a factor. I have my reasons for not vaccinating, but like Don said, if I have an outbreak I will be kicking myself

Sell better, not cheaper.

Don't drop your price to improve sales, but at first if you don't compete head to head (for instance if they sell white and black, you offer other colors at first) you can be successful without undercutting yourself.

I can't compete in the Cornish X broiler market or broad breasted turkey market locally on price or quantity. But no one wants to raise heritage turkeys, so I do. I raise broilers, but primarily for family consumption. When I sell them, I sell for $5/lb. If I sold more, I'd have to drop the price.
You are a wise woman, Walnut!!! By setting your prices low, you are devaluing your product. While capturing the market is a good thing, by cutting prices, you are having a negative impact on the overall market. People will chose to buy from you if you are knowledgeable, run a clean operation, and have a good product.

SC, I like your new coop. I entertain similar thoughts. I think that if the current poultry craze continues, that one could make a tidy little profit by selling sturdy coops made of re-cycled/purposed materials. Could even take it a step further and sell as a complete kit with coop, feeders, chicks and a broody heat pad. Provide a basic "how to" booklet. What are you using for hardware cloth??

y Lost the little baby last night, when I checked last night he was fine nice and warm with his siblings. Sad morning
So sorry sweetie!
hugs.gif

My little Araucana whom my DH named Mullet is starting to feather nicely. I love the coloring

Mullet is lovely! and cute name too!

Here she is on her nest now she is laying squauking up a storm

Very pretty! C'mon, give momma what she wants!

stop being sooooo nice don't talk about sales plans on line. don't let the competition know your strategy.  while they mock you they could be stealing your Ideals. use P.M. copy all you trust just saying

You're right! Thank you!

I would help it but I am not sure of the set date.... *shrug* Also, almost everyone says if you think you need to assist: Don't. So, I don't want to rush into assisting....

I wouldn't want to jump into an assist on this one. Especially if no internal pip. Wait it out.

This is where the problem start as Mareks is an Airborne Disease. We just have to protect our own flock best as we can. When Mareks shows up it will usually just randomly hit .

Thank you!

Well, my curiosity won. I assisted. No blood, all the vessels had retreated. I made a fairly big hole once it was obvious it had piped internally and poked it with the chisel I had used. No response. Manipulated the beak a bit, not a twich. So, I did what any curious person would do, I unshelled it. Gave it some painful stimuli but no response. Deliberately nicked a vein, no bleeding. Felt it's breast, no beating. Called time of death as sometime in the last day or so.

There was an air embolism in it's neck so I determined that it had internally pipped and drowned. I have pics if anyone is interested but I will only post/pm on request in case there are any squeamish about dead chick pics. Kinda sad in all honesty. *sigh* so close!

Okay after 2 hours of reading i think that a chook that rolls over onto its left hand side most of the time but does not do so for 2 days after a warm bath would not be a symptom of mareks disease - and she definitely doesn't show any of the other listed signs.

Back
Top Bottom