She said/He said Who's right? Who's wrong? No one!

The Hatcheries you refer to are not what I consider large Hatcheries. MSU here in Michigan is a large University and I have been there several times and they recommend Mareks Vaccine for all poultry. They do not recommend LT unless it is a problem. I told the Head man Dr. Fulton that I went to shows and he stated I should vaccinate. It still boils down to do what you believe works best for you. Don

Don, are you in Michigan? I am in SE Michigan. I've been following your posts with great interest.

You are a wise woman, Walnut!!! By setting your prices low, you are devaluing your product. While capturing the market is a good thing, by cutting prices, you are having a negative impact on the overall market. People will chose to buy from you if you are knowledgeable, run a clean operation, and have a good product

While waiting for my project stock to s..l..o..w..l..y build up to sustainable levels, I've sourced eggs and poults. This year I have a large number of turkeys with some really nice, large Bourbon Red toms, and some very petite Red Bronze and Bourbon Red hens.

Since very few buyers are in the market for 7 to 9 pound hens, I am marketing them as "single serving size" pieces, just roast two of them. So far it's going over well, I have more orders for pairs of smalls than ever, and I didn't cut the price. A footnote that they are also great for frying didn't hurt!

Well, my curiosity won. I assisted. No blood, all the vessels had retreated. I made a fairly big hole once it was obvious it had piped internally and poked it with the chisel I had used. No response. Manipulated the beak a bit, not a twich. So, I did what any curious person would do, I unshelled it. Gave it some painful stimuli but no response. Deliberately nicked a vein, no bleeding. Felt it's breast, no beating. Called time of death as sometime in the last day or so.

There was an air embolism in it's neck so I determined that it had internally pipped and drowned. I have pics if anyone is interested but I will only post/pm on request in case there are any squeamish about dead chick pics. Kinda sad in all honesty. *sigh* so close!

So sorry you lost it so close to hatch. There should not be that much fluid in the shell at lockdown, so that indicates humidity may have been high during incubation. How large was the air cell when last candled?

While waiting for my project stock to s..l..o..w..l..y build up to sustainable levels, I've sourced eggs and poults. This year I have a large number of turkeys with some really nice, large Bourbon Red toms, and some very petite Red Bronze and Bourbon Red hens.

Since very few buyers are in the market for 7 to 9 pound hens, I am marketing them as "single serving size" pieces, just roast two of them. So far it's going over well, I have more orders for pairs of smalls than ever, and I didn't cut the price. A footnote that they are also great for frying didn't hurt!

Excellent! Good marketing. I just love the big BR toms! They are so gorgeous!

So sorry you lost it so close to hatch.  There should not be that much fluid in the shell at lockdown, so that indicates humidity may have been high during incubation.  How large was the air cell when last candled?

It looked between day 14 and 21 size. On the small side for a hatch but not too small. It would not surprise me if the humidity was too high as it was left in ambient and it is HUMID here.

No deformation besides the air embolism, I checked. The 'bator did fluctuate from 38-42*c every day though so it may have been too weak to hold its head in the aircell. Alternatively, the hair cell may have had a bit of water in it? Some albumen may have leaked in? I just don't know. The beak was below the pip though there was no bleeding in evidence which supports the too weak to hold its head up theory.

Picture in spoiler.
I'm going to speak without any knowledge and I hope that more experienced people that have been hatching for years can speak up and correct my assumptions as I am only judging by my own experience and conclusions. To me that yolk sac does not look like a healthy yolk solk. The green instead of the bright yellow/orange healthy looking yolk sacs that I have always seen (even in my late term deaths) would make me think infection.

I've come to think that all I think may be wrong. and have much research to do again. but one train of thought of mine is this most drug companies fund a lot of Major medical universities . I know for a fact refuse to offer any alternative treatment other than drugs . holistic or herbal is vodo medicine . this words came out of a doctor's mouth along why can't people except their child for what they are and deal with it .would not order the heavy medal scan my child needed so now I deal with it . herbal medicine helped get my child off drugs . vaccine studies are done on confined or isolated flocks most times with the illness induced for development of the vaccine. there are so many ways to go vaccinate or not herbal or not. hard choices here more research needed If I were going to show I would vaccinate . I go to a sale barn I ware rubber boots even if its is hot changes cloths bleach everything before I go around my chickens .Be a good visitor clean and disinfect your self before and after going near someone's flock . be smart about it. treat a show the same way .once again doesn't make it right just the way I think . lot to do today much latter.
frow.gif
and thank you don for sharing with us. to bad your so far away .I would pay you a visit .bet you have great stories .
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom