she won't lay?!?

fwibble

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 5, 2014
Australia
Hi all,

I'm a new chickeneer and have started my flock with an Isa brown and a Rhode Island Black (fairly certain we're just talking Australorpe). The brown consistently lays an egg a day, but the black is holding out on me!
Not a single egg.
I checked a few things. She's not a rooster. If she is, it's a class A costume and he has complete commitment to the cause.
I wondered about the age thing, but we got her from a good breeder and she's also grown in size since we got her.
Also feeding her the same diet as the other with commercial layer pellets and other feed supplements (grains and fruit and vegies etc).

Would very much like any insights or things to try to get her started.

Thanks,

Pete

How old is she? ISA Browns are a real production breed, bred to lay early and often... Australorps are more a duel purpose breed, good layers but not in the same class, and what age they start will can vary depending on the hatchery and if they are show bred.

She'd be nearing the 20 week mark and hasn't been bred for show. I wasn't aware of such a vast diference as it seemed there were mixed reviews for each. I'm happy to wait if that's all it takes. But happy to try things if necessary. I will admit shejs showing slightly increased interest in her nesting box, but it seems this is more for sleep

Back
Top Bottom