Shell-less eggs/thin membrane?

Fritzen

Chirping
Mar 7, 2021
Florida
Hi! My hens have all been doing wonderfully, and all are now producing!
The problem is that one of them, Archimedes I think (the latest to produce), has laid some unusual eggs.
One was entirely shell-less, just yolk on the ground. The other three had a very soft, weak membrane instead of a shell.
Is this normal for a newly producing hen? My other hens did just fine with their first eggs, but I’m wondering if it’s her body practicing/learning how to make eggs properly? If it isn’t normal, what could be causing it, and how could I help?

I feed my hens egg layers crumble and provide them plenty of oyster shell— along with a plethora of healthy treats of all kinds— so I doubt it’s a problem with their dietary intake.

Thank you for reading!

The oyster shell should be providing them with the calcium they need. Technically layers feed should provide about all that a hen needs of everything they need. But with calcium on the side that should be good. But I think that new hens can lay some shell less eggs like that before their systems have gotten in to the groove of laying. Are your hens free range? Do you give them any grit other than oyster shell. If neither of these then your hens might eat the oyster shell more for the grit part that it provides than for the calcium.

It could be because of her being a new layer, but there could be something wrong. If you can identify the pullet, you could try giving her a human calcium with D3 tablet for 3 days, to see if it helps her shells. Past exposure to viral infectious bronchitis, high temperatures, or a damaged shell gland might also be possibilities. A hen I had who was my best layer, was attacked by a dog, and always laid shell-less eggs thereafter. Here is a link to read about egg shell problems:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/common-egg-quality-problems.65923/

The oyster shell should be providing them with the calcium they need. Technically layers feed should provide about all that a hen needs of everything they need. But with calcium on the side that should be good. But I think that new hens can lay some shell less eggs like that before their systems have gotten in to the groove of laying. Are your hens free range? Do you give them any grit other than oyster shell. If neither of these then your hens might eat the oyster shell more for the grit part that it provides than for the calcium.
I give them grit as well! Not free range, as I don’t have the land for it. My girls have a nice 64^2ft run though, and I let them out into my yard daily for about an hour in the morning and evening.

It could be because of her being a new layer, but there could be something wrong. If you can identify the pullet, you could try giving her a human calcium with D3 tablet for 3 days, to see if it helps her shells. Past exposure to viral infectious bronchitis, high temperatures, or a damaged shell gland might also be possibilities. A hen I had who was my best layer, was attacked by a dog, and always laid shell-less eggs thereafter. Here is a link to read about egg shell problems:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/common-egg-quality-problems.65923/
I do live in Florida, and as it’s late summer it has been especially hot recently. Thank you for the link! I’ll check it out. :)

Back
Top Bottom