Shelter intake, breed and sex?

RinzHens

Chirping
Jul 6, 2017
rowlett tx
My guess was leghorn pullet, but what I'm seeing posted here says may be cockerel by comb color? I do all the shelters wildlife and they know I have chickens and ducks so they called me to take it in. If I cant locate the owners ill have to rehome or keep. Cockerels are not allowed in our city and I'm already over limit so don't want to push my luck if its a roo in the making. Yes its quarantined from my birds for now. IMG_2713.jpg 31073357_10209065669079269_6994533878543155200_n.jpg

Is the head still kinda fluffy with down? If so then it’s definitely a cockerel. If not, depending on age and how it acts, I’m kinda leaning towards pullet with the feathers but the comb is still weird if it’s young and from this years spring chick set. I can’t tell you much about breed but let me look some things up and I’ll try to help with that, it also might give us a clue to the gender as well.

This could just be someones crossbreed. The area is on the edge of farm land. If its a pullet I can keep it if no one claims or rehome in the area. Ive got a lonely game hen that needs a non aggressive buddy. My Black Sex links hate her. If a cockerel ill have to send it to another wildlife group that would take him but not be happy about it. Any info helps me locate the owner or at least place the bird up for adoption. My girls would have a fit if it didn't go to another backyard egg person and instead went to a meat rearer. Neck is very downy but head has a mix and some sheathed feathering growing in and some fluff. Legs are yellow. We have three main sources of chicks in the area and some are very exotic so could be anything. First chicks I saw were around end of January for sale but I wasn't looking. Chickenville has these for sale.

Baby chicks are here! Call for your appointment soon. We have 8 breeds including Blue Laced RED Wyandottes, Welsummers Lt and Buff BRAHMAS, Speckled Susses and Blue Laced Wyandotte. $9 to $15 each depending on breed. But guaranteed to be female with Mareks vaccination and Texas Health Certificate.
2.8 Month olds Pullets, Buff Orpington and Barred Rocks

I don't think those fit. Feed stores are on third run of chicks and leghorns are usually at tractor supply. Roach carries a lot more exotics and popular egg layers like orpingtons, easter eggers, and australorps.

Ive posted it to nextdoor and the shelter did an intake post and the local shelter non profit also posted. But historically no one claims chickens, even frizzles and other super cute breeds, probably due to fear of being over limit for the city.

That’s a possibility too because even if they weren’t sold, someone could’ve hatched it and it got lost.
I really can't figure the gender based on it's comb or feathers. I don't trust comb sexing in the least. It has a pretty long tail for a boy, IMO. If you can wait until all of the down turns to feathers, it might be easier to tell. Also, leghorns tails usually stick nearly straight up, don't they?

I really can't figure the gender based on it's comb or feathers. If you can wait until all of the down turns to feathers, it might be easier to tell. Also, leghorns tails usually stick nearly straight up, don't they?

Im not sure but judging by pictures, maybe? I’ve never owned any chicken other than RIRs and they’re not even heritage. I do know, however, that pullet combs don’t redden until they’re about to lay and they’re down is completely gone. Unless there are breeds that go against that.

Back
Top Bottom