Sheltersss

BarredCometLaced

Songster
8 Years
Jul 10, 2011
Northern NH
I live an an area of cold temperatures and heavy snowfall. In an area like this would a structure like the one bellow be ok for horses in these conditions?

steel_frame_horizon_sm.jpg

Or would providing them with run in sheds like the one bellow be better? I don't really want a completly enclosed barn which is why i like the one above. They will get pasture year round, but i would like some form of shelter for them...
complete_frame_sm.gif

Which ever one you choose make sure the load weight for the roof is strong. With all the snow that we got here in the North East this last winter there were numerous barns, indoor areas, and shed rows that caved in. I have something similar to the second picture.

You have to find out if the shelter will hold up to however much ice/snow your area gets - don't take the vendor or seller's word.

I doubt that either would hold up to use in most US states - I especially don't like the open eaves structure - it's a cheap ineffective substitute for an open eave with a roof overhang - hot and full of flies in summer and wet with plenty of rain and snow/ice blowing in in winter.

Quote:
I agree. You could always add a winter blanket for them if it gets really cold and windy, in additon to the shelter.

Back
Top Bottom