1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sheltersss

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by BarredCometLaced, Aug 22, 2011.

1. BarredCometLaced

BarredCometLaced Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Northern NH
    I live an an area of cold temperatures and heavy snowfall. In an area like this would a structure like the one bellow be ok for horses in these conditions?

[​IMG]

Or would providing them with run in sheds like the one bellow be better? I don't really want a completly enclosed barn which is why i like the one above. They will get pasture year round, but i would like some form of shelter for them...
    [​IMG]

2. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    I like the first pic. If it were me, I would go with the first one. [​IMG]

3. greeneggsandham

greeneggsandham Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Putnam,CT
    Which ever one you choose make sure the load weight for the roof is strong. With all the snow that we got here in the North East this last winter there were numerous barns, indoor areas, and shed rows that caved in. I have something similar to the second picture.

4. welsummerchicks

welsummerchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    You have to find out if the shelter will hold up to however much ice/snow your area gets - don't take the vendor or seller's word.

I doubt that either would hold up to use in most US states - I especially don't like the open eaves structure - it's a cheap ineffective substitute for an open eave with a roof overhang - hot and full of flies in summer and wet with plenty of rain and snow/ice blowing in in winter.

5. Johndeere96

Johndeere96 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Nh
    We prefer run ins

6. Glenmar

Glenmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    Quote:I agree. You could always add a winter blanket for them if it gets really cold and windy, in additon to the shelter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by