Shes gone....i need a little support

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Stormhorse23, Jan 18, 2008.

1. Stormhorse23

Stormhorse23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2007
    Indiana
    i just now got back from putting gracie to sleep. it was quick and she was almost dead when they brought her back in. i sat there holding up her little limp head until i stopped crying long enough to get out the door (which wasnt long). im still crying. gracie was my third chicken and the sweetest. if you pet her, she would put her head into you for more. most people wouldnt understand how i feel or why im sitting here bawling my eyes out over "just a chicken." i tried so hard to save her beautiful little life for 4 weeks, but enough is enough. here is a little about her and some pictures i took before we took her to the vet. you might have to refresh the page to see the pics

Gracie
    Light Brahma (standard)
    Died at 5 months of age
    Cause unknown

My favorite

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. HenHappy

HenHappy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2007
    on my way to you....
    OH I am so sorry...I think most of us know EXACTLY how you feel. You have my deepest sympathies. Chickens are just as special as any pet and you did all you could. Again, I'm so sorry.

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I can sympathize.....I just came back inside from burying one of my oldest cats. [​IMG] I'm sorry about your chicken.

4. Gonzo the Great

Gonzo the Great Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    Sugar Land, TX
    My condolences. It's very hard on the pet owner to lose a loved one.

5. fallenweeble

fallenweeble Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2007
    stormh
    i'm so sorry.
    i know exactly how you feel.
    she wasn't "just a chicken."
    thank you for helping her and giving her very good care.
    even though her life was short you made a difference by offering her so much love.
    take care of yourself.
    f. weeble

6. countryboy

countryboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2007
    it's hard when you lose anything, be it a friend, pet or relative. i think we've all been there many times, but the pain is still there and seems like it wont go away. i try to keep myself busy so i don't think about it but it's still there.

put the illness or injury aside and remember the good times you had with gracie and the pride you felt at the time, its still there.

Celebrate Life.

7. Stormhorse23

Stormhorse23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2007
    Indiana
    yeah. thank you. its good to know youve gone through things like this before. its still so hard.... my 10 year old sister made it a point of telling me that she didnt care if my chicken died and then loudly explaining how she wished i would as well. well. thats 10 year olds for you. i just miss gracie. not coming home and walking into the bathroom to pet her and hear her happy little cluck...oh god, i miss her

8. kayri

kayri Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2007
    RI
    I'm sorry about Gracie. [​IMG] I hope the good memories see you through these hard times.

Don't worry about what your sister said. 10 can be a hard age.

9. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Aawwww....[​IMG] She was soooo beautiful!! Im so sorry you had to go thru this. She was lucky to have you to care for her so much.

10. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    [​IMG] We all understand. Its very hard to see someone you love feeling so bad and not be able to help them. If you want to be understood.......this is the place. I think many of us never thought we would love our little flocks so much. The most important thing is to think about how lucky she was to have you. She could have had a home where she really was 'just a chicken'........but obviously that was not the case. So although her life was short....she knew she was loved. That counts!!!

Last edited: Jan 18, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by