Shes having seizures, help!

Rey is such a cutie. They are all very pretty and healthy looking. You must be getting alot of rain to have such pretty green grass. we have been in drought not much growing here.

Yeah we have been having a lot of summer storms lately. We also have a broken lawnmower so its fuller from less cutting too haha. We try to keep them happy and healthy so real bummed about earlier this week, but so grateful that the other drakes seem to be okay so far.

Yeah we have been having a lot of summer storms lately. We also have a broken lawnmower so its fuller from less cutting too haha. We try to keep them happy and healthy so real bummed about earlier this week, but so grateful that the other drakes seem to be okay so far.
Well send then down this way please.
wink.png

I know we do everything we can and things still happen but you can at least feel good you gave them a great life and I am sure they knew it. What was wrong with your straw? mold?

Sorry for the long haitus in answering. We sadly lost three of our males from the straw. The only thing we could guess is either the place we usually got it from had had it too long and it started going bad, or it got moldy inside. Our mallard drake was only survivor male and we can only guess being smaller he did not breath in enough due to his size so he never got sick. In other sad news, Rey my beautiful girl who recovered from Seizures and never had them again, about a week after she started laying at the beginning of this year, we had a neighbors dog come into our yard while they were free ranging and it attacked her and wounded her so terribly we had to put her down. It has only been about a week or so now since that and I am still shocked at the loss. She was my angel. I miss all of our babies that we lost so much. I am struggling trying to decide if we should get more ducklings anytime soon. I have two ducks remaining. A mallard Drake and mix duck. They coexist with our chickens and so far seem happy as just a pair.

Sorry for the long haitus in answering. We sadly lost three of our males from the straw. The only thing we could guess is either the place we usually got it from had had it too long and it started going bad, or it got moldy inside. Our mallard drake was only survivor male and we can only guess being smaller he did not breath in enough due to his size so he never got sick. In other sad news, Rey my beautiful girl who recovered from Seizures and never had them again, about a week after she started laying at the beginning of this year, we had a neighbors dog come into our yard while they were free ranging and it attacked her and wounded her so terribly we had to put her down. It has only been about a week or so now since that and I am still shocked at the loss. She was my angel. I miss all of our babies that we lost so much. I am struggling trying to decide if we should get more ducklings anytime soon. I have two ducks remaining. A mallard Drake and mix duck. They coexist with our chickens and so far seem happy as just a pair.
I was just reading about Rey so very sorry. What did the neighbor say about it?
also so sorry about the hay and mold and losing 3 drakes.

As for getting more ducklings, Hard to resist that urge I know and that is your decision you'd most likely be able to introduce them into your 2 adults but it will take time. Reason being ducklings and also because your 2 won't want to accept them right off.

If your Mallard drake starts showing interest in your hens[chicken] you might want to find a few females[adults real quick]
Drakes really need at least 2-4 females to keep that sexual urge to their own species. Chickens can be killed if mated by a drake.

I do have the urge to have babies around again haha. The neighbor was very apologetic about it when they found out what their dog had done, turns out she too has ducks, but sadly never taught the dog to leave them alone, just kept them seperate always. She paid us for the vet bill to euthanize her and for Rey herself. She also mentioned that she occasionally breeds ducks and would let us pick duckling next time she does. I do recall when we got Rey how the older ones gave her a hard time for a good while, all except my female. That was when we seperated the guys and let Rey live with Leia and when we had the straw issue and I ended up moving Chewy into the duck house with the girls after the losses. He has never shown any interest in the chickens. He is pretty laid back. He barely showed interest in Rey until a lot later. Primarily he always would just stay wherever Leia was. I think he considers her his mate. Rey was just extra female to him. I know if we do get more ducklings, I would make sure to get ducks and no males. Chewy in comparison to the males we lost, seems to only occasionally have interest in trying to mate. He might be a bit of a lazy male, he most enjoys floating in pool on his own when not following Leia around run or napping.
Chewy and Leia behind Rey before her passing. They were quite the trio.

I do have the urge to have babies around again haha. The neighbor was very apologetic about it when they found out what their dog had done, turns out she too has ducks, but sadly never taught the dog to leave them alone, just kept them seperate always. She paid us for the vet bill to euthanize her and for Rey herself. She also mentioned that she occasionally breeds ducks and would let us pick duckling next time she does. I do recall when we got Rey how the older ones gave her a hard time for a good while, all except my female. That was when we seperated the guys and let Rey live with Leia and when we had the straw issue and I ended up moving Chewy into the duck house with the girls after the losses. He has never shown any interest in the chickens. He is pretty laid back. He barely showed interest in Rey until a lot later. Primarily he always would just stay wherever Leia was. I think he considers her his mate. Rey was just extra female to him. I know if we do get more ducklings, I would make sure to get ducks and no males. Chewy in comparison to the males we lost, seems to only occasionally have interest in trying to mate. He might be a bit of a lazy male, he most enjoys floating in pool on his own when not following Leia around run or napping.
Chewy and Leia behind Rey before her passing. They were quite the trio.
Just beautiful!!

I am glad your neighbor paid for your vet bill and is willing to give you a duckling in place of Rey it sure won't be a replacement for Rey or the heartache but having a few little ones around can sure make a person feel better.

Back
Top Bottom