Shipped chicks - seriously broken leg

NSawyer

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 16, 2013
Chicagoland
Well, you do take a gamble when ordering hatchery chicks and having them shipped. This little black copper marans has a very broken leg. It's pretty high up the leg, and I think that is bone material sticking out. There's blood around the area too. Although I probably already know the answer, and she probably won't live more than a few more hours...is there anything I can do? Trying to push the bone in or something seems cruel. She's mostly just laying there, but she is pretty vocal.

Sorry about the chick. While it is probably hopeless and kindest to just put her down now, there are one legged chickens hopping around. Is the other leg OK, can she use it? Does she try to eat or anything else? If you and she seem willing to try you could clip off the remains of the leg/bone, glue the wound shut and see how she does if you help her get to food and water etc.

Thanks for your speedy reply! She was just laying down, trying to rest, but I forced some save-a-chick electrolyte water down. While I was away she got up and joined the group under the lamp. She wasn't pecking or drinking when I was watching her, which is why I don't think she'll last. If that changes maybe she'll stand a chance. I hadn't thought of clipping the bone, sounds like a job for the man later tonight! If she doesn't make it, I do still think 14/15 is not bad.

Back
Top Bottom