Shipped eggs (i'm done)

marytoast

Songster
11 Years
Dec 31, 2008
Carthage, NC
I had 23 guinea eggs in the bator I added 7 chicken eggs. The guinea eggs were picked up from the farm. I had 20 of the 23 hatch. The chicken eggs were shipped. 1 of them hatched.
hit.gif

Typical.

I had 41 eggs in both hatch 1 and hatch 2. Only got 12 chicks each hatch from shipped eggs.

i got 5 out of 12 shipped eggs. and i have 9 in the bator right now that was shipped it was 18 of them but had a few meat spots and some just not fertile. cross finger i get a good hatch out of these.
fl.gif

Shipped eggs are very hard to hatch. The only ones that do well for me are quail. Other types of eggs usually don't make it too good. Every once in a while, I'll get lucky, but I usually get 1 or 2 chicks from 12+ shipped eggs. Not all the time, but most. If I could find what I want here, I wouldn't even bother.

Sometimes you get a good hatch, most times I get a 30-50%. The one time I actually picked up eggs from a seller that lived nearby. I got 16/18 eggs to hatch. So shipping does play havoc on them. My problem is the breeds I want are not around here and I like to be a respected breeder around here, so I have to play russian roulet with eggs.

Quote:
oh goodness gracious. thats what scares me! i dont want to be sending non fertile eggs!!! i see my rooster doing his business all the time, but how can i be sure?!?!!

Quote:
oh goodness gracious. thats what scares me! i dont want to be sending non fertile eggs!!! i see my rooster doing his business all the time, but how can i be sure?!?!!

I crack open some eggs every week and check for the fertile bullseye mark. So far every one I have cracked has been fertile, plus all of the eggs I have put into the incubator have been fertile.

Back
Top Bottom