Shipped eggs

Iggys Acres

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 21, 2013
Texas
So this is my first time incubating eggs I ordered thru the mail. I was just wondering if 3 out of 16 was good? 3 having viable chicks growing and 13 being duds? They are about half way done "baking" so praying I get all three babies. I understand shipping is tricky business, I don't blame the seller, I was just wondering.

ive had no eggs hatch on shipped eggs, and Ive had 11 out of 12 hatch. the post office is rough on eggs, even the best packed eggs get shaken and broken.

one thing I have learned, as a rule of thumb the closer the better. I try to order eggs from neighboring states when possible.

i prefer to pick up . last year i had 1/6 twice with shipped eggs and 11/12 with the eggs i collected.

just waiting to see how my latest lot goes. out of 12 duck eggs,5 are looking good.4 have detatched air cells. the 6 silkie eggs all have pretty poor air cells. i ordered from less than 100 miles away.

i wonder if courier services are any better?

I really don't know about the courier service. I can tell you on eggs I haul locally I get about 70% hatch, on eggs gathered from my farm I get about 90-95% hatch.

I have found with shipped and hauled eggs its better to set them pointy end down and not on their sides. if the air cell is displaced it puts it back where it belongs.

I ordered some R.I.R. , 6 eggs got 7. Person just put them in a box marked "FRAGILE" which does not mean a lot to the P.O. ( I know worked there 27 years.) Out of my 7 eggs only 3 hatched. I was very disappointed and was disappointed in response to some questions from the shipper. I WOULD STRONGLY SUGGEST HATCHING EGGS BE SENT EXPRESS MAIL . Also if the shipper writes in GREAT BIG LETTERS "HATCHING EGGS" (on all sides and top of box) they receive special handling from the P.O. Also have instructions on box for you to be called when they arrive at P.O. AND GO PICK THEM UP. You do not want them banging around in the delivery vehicle till the carrier gets to your house. Incubating my R.I.R. was an experience but it is not for me. Good luck everyone.

Thanks for the info. These eggs came from half way across the country so I'm sure that didn't help. We'll see come hatch day.

My duck eggs hatched yesterday I ordered 6 they came all good condition , 1 was a dud and the other 5 hatch but two were malpositoned which I think was due to being shipped.

I had 10 eggs shipped from oregon to Minnesota. Horrible air cells on them. 5 made it to lock down and 3 healthy babies hatched. The other two may have been malpositioned. Not sure.

Back
Top Bottom