Shipping fish?

Okay, I happen to be one of those people who love undergravel filters, but I learned a trick many years ago from the man that owned one of my favorite fish stores in LA.

What he taught me to do was to take the intake tube from my outside power filter and insert it into one of the lift tubes from the UG Filter. This made a more powerful filtering source by drawing more water through the gravel and around the base of the live plants. My plants thrive, the water is crystal clear and my fish are healthy and happy.

Shelley you may want to look into getting a 15 or 20 gallon tank for them. And once the weather warms up you can put them outside in a mini pond.

The last thing that you need is another fish, lol. Cloudy water won't be solved by adding more fish (actually, it will make it worse). Goldfish are extremely messy fish that need a LOT of tankspace and filtration. Plecos get VERY big and are also poop machines. Your best bet is to up the tank size and filtration. What size tank are they in now? Also, what type of goldfish do you have? If they're the fat fancy varieties, a 30-40g tank is the MINIMUM that you can squeak by with. Common goldfish need much larger, at least a 55g tank. Again, they both need massive amounts of filtration.
wink.png

Check into sponge filters, they're really cheap (maybe $10, plus a $5 air pump) and they are excellent for cloudy water problems, plus, those things last FOREVER.

Quote:
I'm on the other side of that one. I have slowly migrated to using only under gravel filters. A under gravel filter is not a quick fix. It takes a long time to build up the bacteria it needs. But once it does its the most effective filter on the market for less than $200.

I have a salt water tank I have only had to do water changes on about once a year because of trace elements not because of needing cleaned. Five years running now.

Quote:
That's the big problem here, to me -- the 'too much goldfish for tank' problem is large and immediate and needs a large and immediate solution.

But once it does its the most effective filter on the market for less than $200.

I dunno, a pretty good argument can be made for a tank full o' healthy plants being as good or better. Well ok, you might have to get your plants tiny and propagate from them to come in under $200 after buying a good lighting system, but still
tongue.png

I guess my problem with undergravel filters has always been that after three or four years mine have always seemed to kind of sock up full of particulate crud and not work so well anymore. And unfortunately there's not much you can do at that stage other than rip it all apart and start the tank over. Perhaps this doesn't happen to everyone's. But it's sure been the case for mine, and other peoples' I've been most familiar with.

Lots of different ways to run a fishtank, though
smile.png

Pat​

I bought the tank kit at walmart that came with the over-the-side filter.

It is a 10 gallon tank. I know I need a bigger tank, but right now I can't do that.

I probably do feed them too much, but every time I walk by their tank, the bigger one is swimming around real fast at the top, his "I'm hungry" dance
big_smile.png
So I feed them again. They don't leave any uneaten though.

The tank came with a flourescent light hood, that I turn on around 9 am and turn off around 9pm. Sometimes later.

These are common goldfish

And how would I make a small pond for them outside? They would need to come back in once it got colder, right?

Quote:
Doesn't matter that they eat it all up -- they poo it all out, later. Which is where your water-quality problem comes from. So, less in = less out = less problem.

Really truly. They LOVE to eat (proverbially so!), but that does not mean it is a good idea to feed them so much. Especially when you're having tank problems anyhow. I am not advocating starving them into bonsai fish, just feeding them appropriately for their metabolism and situation. Very small amount, once a day. Twice if you divide it into halves. Really truly!!

The tank came with a flourescent light hood, that I turn on around 9 am and turn off around 9pm. Sometimes later.

If you have live plants other than java fern, java moss, and possibly Anubias, they are not going to do well under this light and probably end up contributing to water quality problems. Of course you can have whatever *plastic* plants you want
smile.png

good luck, have fun,

Pat​

If you're not worried about aesthetics, get a big plastic tub, or a kiddie pool temporarily for a pond indoors. Either way, definately do not get a pleco, even if petstores tell you to. It's a common "beginner" mistake, and unfortunately, petstores perpetuate the problem. If you can find a sponge filter, get one, then you can put the intake tube from the HOB filter that you have into the lift tube of the sponge. They should only run around $12, and this will dramatically help your problem. Also, reduce feedings or food intake. Maybe only feed one pellet per fish per feeding instead, and try your hardest to ignore the begging, lol.

One pellet per fish? You have no idea how big this one is!! I would say it is almost as long as my hand. It would starve to death!!

One thing I have noticed is that they seem to beg more when their water is more cloudy? Any thoughts on that?

I could get a clear plastic tote, that would work like a tank right? I'd be afraid to have them outside with no cover, the chickens would have a field day!

So I need to get them a bigger tank, I know that. When would I be able to put them outside? What temps would be okay? And how long would it be all right to leave them outside? And what is the smallest size of tank that I could keep them in? I told my dad that they needed like a 50 gal. and he was none too thrilled. I guess he is worried about it either breaking and flooding the place, or that the floor won't hold it?
idunno.gif

He keeps telling me I should put them in the pond, but the catfish and ducks would like that way too much!
gig.gif

If you're feeding them numerous times per day, one pellet at a time is just fine. It is always better to underfeed than to over feed. Begging in cloudy water could actually be them suffocating and gasping for oxygen from the air. A sterilite tub would work, but, be warned that they do bow out without a frame.
For your fish, I wouldn't go any less than 40g long. You could possibly get away with a 29g, but they would be crammed and you'd be changing water constantly. You would probably have to purchase a biowheel filter AND a sponge filter if you go that small though.

And, sorry, I didn't read everything until just now, so I apologize for repeat info.
smile.png

Have you thought about rehoming them and putting some small tropical fish in that tank, instead? I think over time, you'd be a lot happier. As time goes on, you'll just have more and more problems with the goldfish in that tank, due to over-crowding. To keep them healthy when they're over-crowded, you need to do more frequent and larger water changes, in addition to having more filtration, than you need to in a more balanced aquarium.

Stock tanks make easy ponds, indoors or out. I have one in the basement, to over-winter fish. Kiddie pools work, too, especially if the goldfish are smaller and not a foot long, yet. I nested 2 of those together for extra sturdiness, the first year I over-wintered fish indoors. Once the goldfish get larger, they need something a little deeper. Outdoors, you can also just dig a hole and put in a pond liner. It's warmer where you live, so with the right setup, you might be able to over-winter them in-ground or in an insulated stock tank in a garage. I've seen some set-ups like that.

I really like Rubbermaid products for stock tanks and tubs. The stock tanks don't rust and the tubs have held up well for me when full of water.

Back
Top Bottom