Should i assist hatch

Claire_

In the Brooder
Jan 18, 2023
My hen recently hatched 7/8 eggs and only one egg hasn't hatched yet and its about to be 2 days later than its siblings, as far as I can tell it's alive and I see veins but it just hasn't pipped in unsure of what to do what do u suggest?

There are different opinions on this subject. And you might get different suggestions.
So far I have been sorry I helped each and every time. Most of the time I had to cull the chick after all or it just died. Not a nice thing. I keep telling myself not to help... and I don't help if the chick hasn't at least made a hole and zipped some of the egg.

There are different opinions on this subject. And you might get different suggestions.
So far I have been sorry I helped each and every time. Most of the time I had to cull the chick after all or it just died. Not a nice thing. I keep telling myself not to help... and I don't help if the chick hasn't at least made a hole and zipped some of the egg.
Ok, so do you recommend I wait? I'm just worried it may die in the egg if it isn't able to get out

Here is my personal opinion. If all eggs were started at the same time (is it possible that a different hen laid an egg a couple of days later?) then I would just let it go. There is a reason why it has not hatched yet. The hen will not sit on the eggs until all hatched. She will make sure all her chicks that hatched have food and water and have a chance at survival. If it does hatch in an incubator for example, she probably will not accept this chick and it would be all alone. Single chicks don't do well and they are not happy.
For the sake of the chick... let it go. If the hen is still sitting on the egg leave it under her.

My hen recently hatched 7/8 eggs and only one egg hasn't hatched yet and its about to be 2 days later than its siblings, as far as I can tell it's alive and I see veins but it just hasn't pipped in unsure of what to do what do u suggest?
Has it pipped?
Do you have an incubator? Mama may abandon this egg soon, if she has other babies to care for. Best option is to take the egg and put it into an incubator if you have one.
Candling photos would help a lot

Back
Top Bottom