should i assist my broody hens last egg hatch!?!

Gigachad poultry

Rest in peace Eda ~ 2018-2024
Premium Feather Member
Dec 24, 2022
Vicenza IT
Hi, I'm wondering if I should try to help my broody hen Eda's egg hatch? It hasn't pipped, but Eda is no longer that interested in sitting on it! Should I make a safety hole or is that risky? Should I help it pip? I really don't want her egg to die!!! I have been candling it, but I don't if it has internally pipped. It's currently on day 22 or so, and it's almost on day 23-24. Should I give up like Eda is starting to?

Hi, I'm wondering if I should try to help my broody hen Eda's egg hatch? It hasn't pipped, but Eda is no longer that interested in sitting on it! Should I make a safety hole or is that risky? Should I help it pip? I really don't want her egg to die!!! I have been candling it, but I don't if it has internally pipped. It's currently on day 22 or so, and it's almost on day 23-24. Should I give up like Eda is starting to?
Hi there. Did other chicks hatch? If so, how long ago? Eventually the hen will have to care for those that have hatched and will leave that egg. If you help it it may be left behind anyway as it won’t be able to keep up due to late hatching.

Hi there. Did other chicks hatch? If so, how long ago? Eventually the hen will have to care for those that have hatched and will leave that egg. If you help it it may be left behind anyway as it won’t be able to keep up due to late hatching.
sadly she broke her other eggs but she did also get attacked and broke two eggs, this is her last egg and in fear she would be without chicks i got her two silkie chicks. she is starting to take care of them and not the egg and i hoping i can save it!

sadly she broke her other eggs but she did also get attacked and broke two eggs, this is her last egg and in fear she would be without chicks i got her two silkie chicks. she is starting to take care of them and not the egg and i hoping i can save it!
Oh no, I’m sorry! Poor thing.

I would candle it and see if there’s any movement. If so then you can try hatching it yourself and slipping it under her from behind at night. A safety hole isn’t necessary at this point and really, that slows down the hatching process. The need for air is what drives the chicks to pip to begin with. If there’s no movement then it may not still be viable.

Also, be aware that she may reject the chick if it does hatch.

Oh no, I’m sorry! Poor thing.

I would candle it and see if there’s any movement. If so then you can try hatching it yourself and slipping it under her from behind at night. A safety hole isn’t necessary at this point and really, that slows down the hatching process. The need for air is what drives the chicks to pip to begin with. If there’s no movement then it may not still be viable.

Also, be aware that she may reject the chick if it does hatch.
OK thank you so much!!! if the chick does get rejected i have a quail chick in my brooder that could do well with a friend!

There you go! Good luck, I’d love to know how it works out. :fl
in very sad to announce that the chick had died before it had hatched. It had internally pipped however it didn't ever break the shell and it drowned. It was yellow with brown lines on it's back and it's yolk was almost completely absorbed. i berried it but i will put a photo down bellow of something similar.
1692802471730.jpeg

in very sad to announce that the chick had died before it had hatched. It had internally pipped however it didn't ever break the shell and it drowned. It was yellow with brown lines on it's back and it's yolk was almost completely absorbed. i berried it but i will put a photo down bellow of something similar.
View attachment 3617305
Awe, I’m so sorry! I’m glad the broody accepted the chicks you gave her though. That’s a win.

Awe, I’m so sorry! I’m glad the broody accepted the chicks you gave her though. That’s a win.
YUp it really is a win. I've been wanting silkies for over a year and i finally have two hens! I'm hoping next year on of them will go broody as that part of why i wanted some. Their names are Peep & Cheep

Back
Top Bottom