Should I be concerned with these growths?

ChickNanny13

Enabler
10 Years
Jun 23, 2013
The Big Island/Hawaii
Mia is a Chihuahua/Terrier mix, 7yrs old, overweight (10#) thanks to DH otherwise good health. I first noticed these growths on my dog's left side in May of this year, largest is about 1/4" the other two are about 1/8". Took her to the Vet, she said it was "old" age growths not to worry.

Last month found one on her right hind knee, couple weeks ago found more tiny ones next to her bum. This weekend I found tiny ones on her neck, right side of her cheek, her front right inner leg & still searching. No other symptoms.

I don't brush her anymore cause the big had bled. She eats Nutro Wholesome Essentials Healthy Weight Farm Raised Chicken, Brown Rice & Sweet Potato. DH does feed her off the table :he We had several rounds of why it's not good for her.

I've had dogs in the past that grew old but never saw any of these "growths", have any of you? Looks like surface oil gland, ideas? I'm thinking time to visit another Vet ...
2018 Mia lump.jpg

Could be benign cysts from sebaceous glands being clogged. Some can rupture. Still ok. If vet not worried wouldnt worry. Lots of dogs get lumps, bumps, and benign tumors or cysts while aging. They don’t really treat them unless causing problem for dog.

My dog had a couple of those on his back. Vet said they were harmless. He had some growths on his lower eyelid that kept getting bigger and had to be removed, so when the vet removed those she removed the sebaceous cysts as well. I probably would have opted to have them removed anyway because they bled and itched and annoyed him.

My dog had a couple of those on his back. Vet said they were harmless. He had some growths on his lower eyelid that kept getting bigger and had to be removed, so when the vet removed those she removed the sebaceous cysts as well. I probably would have opted to have them removed anyway because they bled and itched and annoyed him.

Thank you for your feedback ... Need to check with my Vet, wondering now if that's why she's been scratching so much, checked for fleas. Yes it does bleed, I tried being careful when I brush her but couple times hit it, so no longer brush. She loved her brushing, probably cause it relieved the itch.

My vet says if you can free move the skin under them not to worry, it's when they feel attached underneath, that's when you should get them looked at and removed. Otherwise they are mostly a cosmetic problem, unless they are on an eyelid, or somewhere the dog is scratching and making them bleed.

Back
Top Bottom