Should I be concerned?

So sad:( I'm not sure if someone already posted this, but I had success with an eggbound goose last year by soaking her in a warm bath and then going in with olive oil as a lubricant. It's dangerous, but my girl was obviously not going to make it on her own. You have to be very careful not to injure the bird or damage the shell. I was able to guide it out and when I walked her back to the coop an hour later another egg fell out :/ I believe that this process saved her life. I hope that this thread can help other goose owners, knowledge is power :)
Did you actually squirt the olive oil up inside?

I wore tight fitting nitrel gloves and got the olive oil all over them as a lubricant.

I actually went in and carefully guided the egg out. I used one hand on the outside to help guide it towards her vent. as I understand there is a high risk of infection if you damage the egg or the bird so it was a very slow process, also I went with her pushing, so we werent working against each other.

Last edited:
I wore tight fitting nitrel gloves and got the olive oil all over them as a lubricant.

I actually went in and carefully guided the egg out. I used one hand on the outside to help guide it towards her vent. as I understand there is a high risk of infection if you damage the egg or the bird so it was a very slow process, also I went with her pushing, so we werent working against each other.
WOW that was very brave, although my gooses eggs are pretty tuff so hopefully if I ever had to do that I wouldn't break one inside. I would be so afraid of hurting her. Glad you were able to help her. Is she laying okay this year?

Purina omega 3 layer pellets was fed to my ducks. I know this is a goose thread but wanted to say that this feed was causing me to have soft shelled eggs and the ducks were not looking physically as well. I switched to Mazuri breeder and have not had the problem for a couple of years. I believe Purina changed formulas as I had tried their other layers products also. Mazuri is more expensive but there is less waste so therefore for me a better way to go. I am getting a pair of cotton patch geese in the next few weeks so am watching the geese threads. I have five ducks now and looking forward to the geese.
I was using the Omega 3 for my ducks, geese and chickens as well. It was working fine for the chickens last year so thought I'd give it to the water fowl as well. It's not working, at all. Not for my chickens, they never had soft eggs but they do now, not for the ducks and not for the geese. I am currently mixing the Purina and Blue Seal together and offering oyster shell and am still finding rubber eggs.

I'm glad you saw this too, not that it happened. At least I can take my tin foil hat off now, lol. I called Purina on it and am waiting to hear back. I hope it doesn't take as long as it did when we were contacting them about the aflatoxins.....

The feed I can get for my geese here is limited. Mazuri isn't even a thought here.

WOW that was very brave, although my gooses eggs are pretty tuff so hopefully if I ever had to do that I wouldn't break one inside. I would be so afraid of hurting her. Glad you were able to help her. Is she laying okay this year?

Thanks Miss Lydia. I hope you never have to do it either. She's okay now, but she did have trouble with the first egg. She's the one who I thought had been posioned. Turned out it was egg trouble. Maybe she's just got bad genes ya know? Hopefully year three will go off without a hitch.

Thanks Miss Lydia. I hope you never have to do it either. She's okay now, but she did have trouble with the first egg. She's the one who I thought had been posioned. Turned out it was egg trouble. Maybe she's just got bad genes ya know? Hopefully year three will go off without a hitch.
I was wondering if this was the same goose, well I hope year 3 is much better too. Sure does make you worry over them doesn't it.

Boris has been free ranging with the ducks and chickens during the day. This seems to help a little. He walks around with the ducks for a while and then heads back to his stall and hangs out there and back and forth a few times a day. The goslings come in the last week of March. Hopefully soon afterwards the goslings can go out for a while each day. Then hopefully through a fence they can get to know Boris. I also try to spend time out with him. He seems to like my company like before the breeding season. I feel sorry for him but he is eating well and does stay active.

Boris has been free ranging with the ducks and chickens during the day. This seems to help a little. He walks around with the ducks for a while and then heads back to his stall and hangs out there and back and forth a few times a day. The goslings come in the last week of March. Hopefully soon afterwards the goslings can go out for a while each day. Then hopefully through a fence they can get to know Boris. I also try to spend time out with him. He seems to like my company like before the breeding season. I feel sorry for him but he is eating well and does stay active.
Great news, I am looking forward to seeing the lil ones and hearing how he reacts to them and vise versa.

Back
Top Bottom