Should i be giving my chickens any preventive medicine?

Jaymez

In the Brooder
Jan 17, 2021
Oregon
So I was getting to deworm my horses and the thought popped into my mind if I should be deworming or giving any other preventative medicine to my chickens? I don't believe anyone has any issues or worm or anything from what I can tell, but are there any preventative medicines I should be giving them?

IMO - no - don't treat unless you see signs. But I have had chickens for years, and never treated any of them, except to a scoop of scratch.

Chickens need space, clean water, good food and dry bedding. That will prevent a lot of stuff. However, a lot of people are going to be posting about a lot of stuff.

If you have parasites, treat them. Do a fecal float if you are worried, but don't just treat to treat.

2 cents

Mrs K

Unless your chickens are eating the horses poop then they shouldn’t get the worms. I treat for coccidiosis often in my flock just because they eat a lot of wild bird poop. But if you see watery poop, bloody poop, weird looking poop, or moving poop then treat. But one of my girls pooped out a earthworm and I thought she had worms. It just survived somehow. So I’m the end look for signs before you treat.

IMO - no - don't treat unless you see signs. But I have had chickens for years, and never treated any of them, except to a scoop of scratch.

Chickens need space, clean water, good food and dry bedding. That will prevent a lot of stuff. However, a lot of people are going to be posting about a lot of stuff.

If you have parasites, treat them. Do a fecal float if you are worried, but don't just treat to treat.

2 cents

Mrs K

I agree with this 100%.

It has always worked for me with both my kids and my animals that I give them lots of fresh air, lots of elbow room, and good nutrition and they keep themselves healthy. :)

If you see any weird symptoms -- or just want to check whether something is normal or not -- the many experienced people here will help you identify and treat any problems that do pop up.

I don't believe anyone has any issues or worm or anything from what I can tell, but are there any preventative medicines I should be giving them?
Agrees wholeheartedly with Mrs. K.....but...
Sometimes scheduled deworming would be advised is if your birds have had worms and you live in an climate where worms can easily propagate.
Like where @dawg53 lives.

@Jaymez :
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1626611966873.png

Back
Top Bottom