Should I be worried about raccoons?

If you are curious to see what roams your property, put up a game camera. I have several and have hundreds of pictures from them. especially coyote. I have electric wires around my coops and pens, concrete under the gates and good heavy duty netting covering all of the pens. Owls hunt at night and I have lost some birds to owls in addition to fox, coyote, possum, hawks, and bobcat. I haven't had any losses in quite awhile. Eventually your birds will be discovered. It's just a matter of time. It may not be this year or next, but eventually. These predators know the electric wires are there. Good luck and have fun...
DSCF0002112019 01.jpg DSCF000199 03.jpg DSCF0002124 01.jpg

We're seeing a fat raccoon in the chick pen twice during the broad daylight in the last several days! My neighbor who feeds birds/animals called saying that she saw two fat raccoons at her feeding table! So far the chickens are okay and seem not bothered by its presence. Bigger worry is whether it carries rabies :mad:

It's just a matter of time and opportunity for the raccoon to decide it likes the taste of chicken better than the other alternatives.

Raccoon predation is at its worst in the spring, when mother raccoons are trying to feed their hungry youngsters, and in the fall, when it's more often solo racoons or pairs of siblings that do the damage.

Save your chickens from a painful and nasty death and yourself the heartache and remorse by locking them up safe at night.

If chickens were safe enough from predators, you wouldn't have to buy them, they would be running around free and feral.

OMG! What part of the world do you live in? What time of the year? Was it spring time when they are having pups?

Foxes will take a chicken or duck at any time of day, at any time of the year, in my area, near Saint Louis, Missouri. I often see them cruising by the pens, looking for an opportunity.

We're seeing a fat raccoon in the chick pen twice during the broad daylight in the last several days! My neighbor who feeds birds/animals called saying that she saw two fat raccoons at her feeding table! So far the chickens are okay and seem not bothered by its presence. Bigger worry is whether it carries rabies :mad:

I'll be honest. Free ranging them is always a risk. I let my girls out one day around 10am, and 2 hours later a fox came in broad daylight and killed them all.

When I lived in a urban /suburban town I lost a chicken to a raccoon. They live in the trees and I have seen them come up out of the storm sewers.

Chickens dont "free range" at night.
They go to roost and are unmoving until morning light.
Leaving the door unlocked puts your birds at great risk, and has no benifit side EXCEPT you get to sleep in longer.
Maybe look into an auto door. Some folks like them.
Chickens are defenseless at night. And to be honest there only defence during the day is run and hide.
Remember, everything eats chicken.
Amen! Everything eats chicken...but everything doesn’t taste like chicken! Lol!

Back
Top Bottom