Should I buy eggs or wait it out?

Found some on Valley Vet Supply. It will be here on Friday. I hope no more show signs before then. I will be treating the whole flock though. Thanks for the info.

Here's some info from the manufacturer. http://www.thepoultrysite.com/focus/contents/novartis/novartis_poultry1.pdf
You won't see any of this info in the US as it is not approved for poultry. Dunno why....
idunno.gif
Probably to do with the almighty dollar.
No egg withdrawal, and a short time for meat (but who wants to eat a sick bird?).

I remember the birds don't care for the taste, so you have to remove all other sources of water. If you need the dosage, I can dig it up for you. I got the 12.5% liquid.

Hey, they might have found wreckage from that missing airliner near Australia.
Guess I was wrong. I thought Putin took it.
hmm.png

Nice sunny day and lots of eggs. Let the big girls out into the backyard to eat down the weeds. Have been leaving the dogs out with them without any problems. Then I saw the Leghorn run across the yard with what looked like a big egg in her mouth!
ep.gif
And the dogs in hot pursuit!
What in the world?!! How could she carry an egg like that? Ack! The dogs are gonna kill her!
th.gif

Hubs ran out to find the whole chicken mob in a circle, eagerly chowing down on a soft shelled egg with two disgruntled and frustrated dogs waiting close by in case anything is left over. Fat chance!
lol.png

After I dispelled the visions of chicken carnage and feather covered dog mouths, I was quite proud of the dogs for showing such restraint and respect for MY chickens. (We have had several conversations about the fact that those are MY chickens.) Guess the lessons took. Yay for good dogs!

Thinking the egg was actually Biscuit's (the Leghorn). She had that episode of vent gleet and hasn't laid in over 2 weeks. Maybe we'll get a good one from her soon. It's been odd not having any white eggs.

Edited because I forgot the good dog picture.

Last edited:
Ah, nice to know little Roger is following in her mentor's footsteps.

Everything is percolating along here. The two big chickens and the NYD chicks regularly co-freerange. George is a bit of a wuss, so I am glad the intro is with Astrid by her side to mitigate bullying. Soon I think George will be able to move in with the big girls.

I had hoped Astrid would be able to, as well, but he is working on his crowing skills. If he gets too good at it, alas, I see freezer camp in his future. However, I would like him to have as much time in the sun with his girls as possible, before then. He and Hattie had a few stand offs, but nothing serious. Hecate blithely ignores him.

Still hoping to do CCL from a local breeder for the Easter hatch-a-long. I will conquer this hatching thing!

I am borrowing a friend's incubator!!!!! I am going to set all the eggs that I get between now and Sunday I think! She also offered to send me a dozen bantam EE eggs if I wanted... Of course I said yes. If I do well with this hatch then I may order some Salmon Fav. and LF cochin eggs and try them... Not sure just yet....

The littles are doing good still! They did start pecking another one of the whites yesterday and I had to doctor it up. Hopefully they will quit that! I'm really not liking those white chicks.... I won't be getting them again!

Oh, and one of the boys is being invited to supper tonight! With carrots and potatoes! Yum!

Last edited:
They re a South African breed which stem from the Plymoth Rock, the yare very popular here and are good egg layers. I loaded a pic of mine so you can have a look. They do well in our climate.

Those remind me of California Grays (developed from Leghorns and Barred Rocks), but the Grays have white earlobes and lay white eggs. Never accepted for showing, they have become quite rare these days. An enthusiast here in California has been singing their praises, so I will try them when I have room in my Big Girl coop. They are supposed to be calmer than the pure Leghorns (who can be a bit crazy!).

Quit calling me crazy!!!

Whoops, too bad about Astrid crowing. Are you not allowed roosters, or do you just not want the noise?

Ming wants to see a picture of Bitey Kitty.
Hi Bitey Kitty. I like your name. hehe

Lindz, those white chicks look big next to the others. Could they be Cornish X? I've heard they are different. Kind of dumb and lazy. Easy pickins for the dual purpose types.
Speaking of easy pickins, when's dinner? Looks yummy!
LL

Whoops, too bad about Astrid crowing. Are you not allowed roosters, or do you just not want the noise?

Ming wants to see a picture of Bitey Kitty.
Hi Bitey Kitty. I like your name. hehe

Lindz, those white chicks look big next to the others. Could they be Cornish X? I've heard they are different. Kind of dumb and lazy. Easy pickins for the dual purpose types.
Speaking of easy pickins, when's dinner? Looks yummy!
LL

Honestly, I am not sure what they are!!!! They are about a week older than the Reds and EE's..... When we bought them everyone was painted purple with BlueKote because they were pecking each other. (Remember they were only $.50/chick!) Anyway, we will see what happens in the next few weeks I guess.... And dinner is around 6!
highfive.gif

Back
Top Bottom