Should I buy eggs or wait it out?

Thanksgiving and Dinner

UGH!!!!! Seriously... what am I supposed to do with this? They are picking out the new pin feathers coming in from what I can tell... I have NuStock, so I added some blue food coloring... Hopefully it will help.... I may have to go get some BlueKote as well. Not sure what else to do! They are in the 5x8 coop, with the heat lamp in the corner. Food and water on the other side, so that they have to move and forage to get it... I have a pan of dirt and a shovel size clump of sod in there as well..... Any other suggestions?

UGH!!!!! Seriously... what am I supposed to do with this? They are picking out the new pin feathers coming in from what I can tell... I have NuStock, so I added some blue food coloring... Hopefully it will help.... I may have to go get some BlueKote as well. Not sure what else to do! They are in the 5x8 coop, with the heat lamp in the corner. Food and water on the other side, so that they have to move and forage to get it... I have a pan of dirt and a shovel size clump of sod in there as well..... Any other suggestions?
Man, what a pain! It's only the white ones getting picked on? Who is doing the picking? Is there one that seems to be starting it? In older birds, feather picking (and egg eating) is usually attributed to needing more protein. Not sure about chicks, but it probably wouldn't hurt to feed them some boiled egg.

You may have to separate them. I am still suspicious that they are Cornish X, in which case they need to be raised differently than regular chickens. (Food rations so they don't grow too quickly and die of heart failure.) They are very passive birds and won't go looking for water when thirsty, so not escaping from cannibal flockmates kind of fits.

Other than that, I'm stumped.
idunno.gif

Man, what a pain! It's only the white ones getting picked on? Who is doing the picking? Is there one that seems to be starting it? In older birds, feather picking (and egg eating) is usually attributed to needing more protein. Not sure about chicks, but it probably wouldn't hurt to feed them some boiled egg.

You may have to separate them. I am still suspicious that they are Cornish X, in which case they need to be raised differently than regular chickens. (Food rations so they don't grow too quickly and die of heart failure.) They are very passive birds and won't go looking for water when thirsty, so not escaping from cannibal flockmates kind of fits.

Other than that, I'm stumped.
idunno.gif

There is one little spot on the tip of the shoulder on one of the Red's but the white one is definitely worse!!!!! I tried some scrambled egg the other day, and they didn't touch it. I am going to have to figure out something that is for sure! They have found the food and water, so I'm not worried about that... This keeps up, and they are going to be eaten alive!

Quote: I'm wondering if it isn't a single individual doing the damage. You may have gotten a bad egg.
roll.png

(Just want to correct the record. I read a good article about Cornish X. With the exception of being extreme food hogs, seems they are pretty much regular birds if they are raised that way.)

Really hope the white ones survive so we can see what they are. The rest of them went to a relative, yes? How are they doing?

MC - Mmmmmm thanksgiving and dinner! You'll have to keep us updated on their progress!

Lindz - I hope your chickies get better!

chicks are doing well over here. No pasty butt...they just run around, scratch in their bedding, eat, drink and SLEEP!

MC - Mmmmmm thanksgiving and dinner! You'll have to keep us updated on their progress!

Lindz - I hope your chickies get better!

chicks are doing well over here. No pasty butt...they just run around, scratch in their bedding, eat, drink and SLEEP!

Isn't it funny when they just sort of flop down and pass out? They probably want their picture taken.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom