Should I buy eggs or wait it out?

Okay, all caught up on here. When dh is home, I rarely get online.
Thanks for the compliments on the "cage". It is a card table with plastic fencing. I put a zip tie on leg one and three. Then just kept the fencing wrapped around to the back. If the fencing were shorter, I would have put bird netting (the nylon weave stuff for tossing over fruit trees) over the table. That would have allowed me to just lift up one side to catch the chickens. This way worked too.
The JGs sold within three hours. Still waiting for a woman to come for some BCM.
Would you believe I got several complaints because ppl wanted roosters? Roosters are a dime a dozen!
Moron is telling the girls that I am dangerous. They just keep eating whatever I have brought them. They occasionally humor him, and go inside. He needs to chill out!!
I have gotten 13, 14, and 11 eggs since selling off nine girls. It is awesome! I need to use up the old eggs. Maybe then getting a dozen a day won't be so great.

That's great news about the successful flock downsizing. The other hens are laying better because they are worried that they might be the next ones to "disappear"!
big_smile.png

Woah so much to catch up on! Hope everyone is well today!

No eggs for me so I guess I better buy more huh? No sense in waiting it out over here ;)

Big news, the ameracauna people were wrong. I saw a post where someone had posted their 6 or so week old pullet that had not apparent beard and everyone told her the bird would be beardless. They insisted that if it didn't have one, it wouldn't. I don't know if that chicken ever got one, I know some don't. At 6 weeks my chickens had no apparent beards except one sassy male who is the naughtiest of the bunch. I was pretty bummed. I know you can see it on the chicks but honestly I can't remember, this was all new to me then.

Twidget has a gorgeous beard coming in now at 8.5 weeks that he did not have even a week ago. Sadly he is leaving us but he's lucky, he's going to live on a farm. I do think at least one of my pullets is going to be a bonafide beardless lady but I still have hope for the other two now I guess.

Stinking hot here today. I got up extra early to get most of the outside chores done before the sun. Already over 80º and it's only just going on 11 am. Sticking to the shade today.
cool.png

The local deer are fawning. Such cute little spotty babies! Is it just me, or is mid-May really late?

th.gif
I began cleaning the coop at 8ish. It is only 75* today, but I didn't want to be doing too much in the hottest part of the day.
I finally got all the bedding out, then got the hose. I have hosed down this coop before, and the water drained. So, I was happily hosing down the walls and ceiling. Getting all the dust and cobwebs. I walked away for a potty break, and when I came back, there was still a lot of water. Fast forward, the water level is getting down there. I know what I am doing to get the water out. I just don't know where the hole is that is allowing the water to get out so that I can focus on sweeping the water to that one spot.
When I needed to get out of the coop, I went to the garden that is finally fenced off. I couldn't go in the house because I was so dirty, I couldn't sit down. I planted Beefsteak and Early Girl tomatoes, Jalapenos, cabbage, celery, and cucumbers. The Roma tomatoes have to wait (I am just too achy and tired) and the Seranno peppers got too dry, so I watered them, and left them in their pots. I will see how they look in a week.
Anyone want to tell me about watermelon, corn and kidney beans?

I am showered now, and done with the coop for the day. I am really hoping the water is gone tomorrow. The Bourbon Reds stink, and I am cleaning their brooder daily.

Broody was up when I got home and looking a little sticky... one egg broke. aside from the stink, she is pretty cleaned up and I took the egg shell out. day 12 and 7 eggs left.

it's really hot here too, and humid. even too hot to cut the grass, which is fine, it just now looks like it's long enough in spots to cut. I did let the flock out for about 2 hours, but golly, I felt like I was melting, so I fixed up a nice snack and put them away early. so, now I've just got to get the widows open and get the screens down. there's not much air moving around, and this is the first day where the house heated up to be almost as warm in as it is out.

I've got a big basket full of eggs and they're not finished laying yet. I lost count around 20-something. I hear the egg song loud and clear tho' so, I'll get my final tally by 7.

W4W, May is the beginning of fawning at least in the north east. May, June and July, although the fawns born here in July often don't survive the winter if it's particularly harsh.

The other fawns we saw in early April must have been the oddballs. Since I moved away from the old farm I don't feel as close to the natural rhythms any more. Although we did get to see some bushtits build their really cool gourd shaped hanging nest and raise babies, and a pair of wrens made a nest in a box under the carport. Oh, and my favorite little bat family, that also lives under the carport, returned with friends and family. I counted 5, which is the most we've had so far. Wish we had 10 times that, so they could eat every last nasty little blood sucking mosquito. Take that Mosquito!
smack.gif

computer went to "Crash Dump" during the search for Merganser photos... so this is what I got before it gave me the Blue Screen of Death. one might be a repeat, not sure...

bun.gif
bun.gif
TWO... TWO... We got TWO eggs today!! Rumples is ok, but penny will peck on her if I am not looking during free range time. She also goes for the chicks.
smack.gif
I have been keeping a close eye on Penny and if she continues to pick on Rumples, I will rehome her (Penny). I have a coworker willing to take her. Rumples will hopefully reintegrate with the flock. I have a plan if she stays on the crippled side. Rumples is a keeper now.
I am amazed at how quickly the chicks grow. Everyday after work, when I see the chicks, I am surprised.
ep.gif
I am almost sure that 2 of the Lav Ams are cockerel.
It is toasty warm here in North Idaho. It got to 80. I do believe that I will ride my motorcycle to work tomorrow.
wee.gif
vroom.... vroom!!

Back
Top Bottom