Should I buy eggs or wait it out?

Congratulations JW!!  :weee   Beautiful eggs, and two on one day.  A double first!!  The eggs will get bigger in time.  I'm guessing they're chicken eggs, since there is no mud on them. :cd

Lol I got so excited to post that I forgot to say who laid them.... Yes they are from the red sex links. I have no idea which 2 laid them though. I have 4 of the 12 that we were really watching thinking they would be first to lay but who knows. The silkies still nothing and nothing from the ducks yet. I'm thinking I'm still a few weeks away from duck eggs and silkie eggs.

Well, now Penny finds herself at the top of the meat bird list.

Just now i was sitting here minding my own business when I heard a RUCKUS coming from outside. Penny was coming out of the coop, eggsonging at the TOP OF HER VOICE. I thought FOR SURE she laid an egg.
yesss.gif
I told her what a good girl she is as she continued down the ramp, still screeching. I peered into the coop. Nothing on the floor. I opened the nest box....2 golf balls, now dirty from her sitting and stepping on them.

No egg.

th.gif

She will be the death of me. It's either her or me at this point. That's why she has to go. So long, Penny.

Oooo, with my chickens, the egg song was the sign that things were getting really close. Red faces, squatting, pelvis width-- all still had me waiting a couple of weeks. But eggsonging.... that's another thing entirely. I still had to wait, but only a little bit.
fl.gif

It'll be the 26th which I believe is my guess!!!

At least you don't have my pain in the behind chickens who like to play....let's lay where mom won't look. After giving up checking the little coop because now only 4 sleep there and nobody has ever laid there I just glance in and lie and behold there were 7 eggs in the corner.... Arrggghhhh

Omg omg omg!!!!!!! Guess what I came home to????!!!!!!

Good lord I shouldn't be this excited over 2 eggs but I can't help it!!!! I put the golf ball in for a size comparison they aren't huge but I don't care. Everybody gets PIE tonight!
D.gif
wee.gif
celebrate.gif
wee.gif
D.gif

Wooo Hoooo! that is just fabulous! Congratulations!

Well that's not fair! We are having penny soup tonight!
yippiechickie.gif
C'mon Penny!!!! you're so close!! mortie, you can make it! it's just a couple of days max!

I collected 14 Eggs today and had an awesome afternoon of free range and chores. got the store bought coop almost finished. just the nest box lid left which didn't get done today because of so many other chores. tomorrow or Saturday will see it done.

they kicked all the straw from the nest into the center, which they usually use as a dust bath... and a few regulars are laying there. it's not easy to get the eggs, but the eye hook to hold the panel up sure does help!

the new panels are seriously heavier than the originals. I like it. I love the design of the coop, it's so simple and effective, but the materials used were so sub par... in the future, I will use it as a template for building new coops.

^ & v Sleepin' Peeps

Cheeka .... I really like the design of that coop. I looked at one similar at TSC and like you are saying about that one, the materials they use are not great to say the least. I read a lot of the reviews on the one I looked at and people were saying it was warping and falling apart after about 6 months of use. They were really happy to be charging $200.00 for the thing!

Last edited:
Well last night was the first night that everyone slept in the same coop! I shut the little coop and the 7 adolescents went into the big coop. They seemed a little confused about where to sleep but ended up piling into a corner. I'm going to rig up a temporary roost until they get comfortable enough to use the big ones and the big girls will let them roost amongst them. Next step will be to get Harriet and her crew back into the coop during the night instead of in the feed room side. Then Bitty should have hatched hers and the ones in the incubator too. Then I be getting the new girls too...... shew that is a lot of changes. It didn't seem like as much until I typed it out.

Back
Top Bottom