Should I buy eggs or wait it out?

Where is everyone else? Too busy counting your eggs to post?
gig.gif

Lindz - wow, sounds like you have a lot going on! Congrats on getting some consolidation going on!

Cheeka - I like that coop, wondering if all of that vent on top remains open during winter? I know you get snow there, too. Here, that would fill up with snow!

I would give you the morning egg count, but you already know. In case you weren't sure, I'll give it to you in horrible rhyme.

Roses are red
violets are blue
Melissa McCarthy is my hero
and it rhymes with that.

I got my first white egg yesterday (sorry Mortie!!!!). It was either my leghorn or my polish....both are 22 weeks. I figured it was the leghorn, but it is so tiny, that my hubby thinks it is the polish. We will see!!

This is compared to my Marans egg. My Marans is 27 weeks old.
Was it you? or you?

Sittin here minding my own business and I hear a chicken go up the ramp. I peek outside and it's Penny. I peer out the window and she's in the nest. Several minutes go by. I watch. Nothing moves, she must be sitting. I wait. Nothing happens. All quiet. Then she sticks her head out. Then she turns around so her butt is sticking out. Then she turns around and hops out and eggsongs for several minutes. I look. NO EGG.

As I am looking, she comes back into the nest and scratches around and makes it super comfy, then she just stands there. I'm all "Sweet, she's going to lay that sucker right in front of me!" Then after several minutes, she BURSTS INTO EGG SONG and does that in the nest for a few minutes. Then leaves. No egg. I leave too. No egg. Now she's scratching around with the others.

So I noticed that a hen was acting strange this morning before I went to work she was just sitting there almost in a trance

When I got closer I found out why

What a sight to see an egg still wet looking! I have to rethink my nesting boxes. The buckets I cut in half fits them perfectly and they look really comfortable in them, but the lack of a lip on the outside edge lets them get in and scratch out all the straw and shavings so then I get a empty nest box like you see in the picture. So either I have to replace them or come up with a lip to go on the front somehow.

Last edited:
I would either just cut the lids in half and glue them on or just take a 1x4 or similar and lay it down so it goes across all the buckets and then just attach it somehow. My nest has a 3 inch lip and a lot of the straw is getting out anyway.

I got my first white egg yesterday (sorry Mortie!!!!). It was either my leghorn or my polish....both are 22 weeks. I figured it was the leghorn, but it is so tiny, that my hubby thinks it is the polish. We will see!!

This is compared to my Marans egg. My Marans is 27 weeks old.
Was it you? or you?

Oooooo, the elusive exotic white egg. Congrats! Your Marans egg instantly darkened by two shades!
big_smile.png

My bet is on the Leghorn. She looks really ready. Then again, how can you tell on a Polish?
idunno.gif
lol.png

And both are still pretty skittish (which is funny, because all my other girls are hams), so I don't know that either of them are squatting. But yes, I think it is the leghorn as well.

Not all hens squat. Out of my 11 layers, only a couple of them do it with any regularity. If you have a rooster, it's more rare for them to squat for people.

I tried leaving a Sharpie out in the coop so they could sign their names on their eggs. Didn't work.
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom