Should I buy eggs or wait it out?

we got 6" of snow yesterday, and it's still so cold, 8* currently. the new Jeep and its 4-wheel drive was fantastic... but it's icy today, so I may go to work in the old Oldsmobile which has studded snow tires... better on ice. I have an hour to decide.
the dogs had a blast, Belle not so much, but I cleared a space for her... Peri and Chester acted like they were at the beach. didn't even seem to get cold even tho' they were out for ages...

yes, I will give her eggs to Gossy in early summer.

and I never answered your question about my friend Ruth.  she's fine, but I had to say goodbye for the winter at least... she left after Thanksgiving and went to live with family further upstate.  it's good.  she lives so very remotely and is essentially blind - can still see a little from one eye, totally blind in the other.  last year, I offered to let her stay with me for the winter and she got so angry with me, we did not speak for a few months (well, she didn't speak to me...).  then she snapped out of it, realized she missed a great opportunity... if she really wanted to be "home"... she could have spent Mon-Sat there while I worked, and been picked up every afternoon, brought here, good meals, dogs, cats, chickens... company... her own space if she wanted privacy - I have a gorgeous "family/dining" room that I used as a bedroom myself for the first 5 years that I lived here.  first floor, huge picture windows, right next to the bathroom...a door that leads to the backyard... oh well.  she's not particularly happy where she's at, but that is just because it isn't home and it's too far (100 miles) to go back to her place for a spell... she wants to be back home in May, but that just might not be possible anymore.  we'll see... getting old can be sad.  it was awful when her family came and took her car away.  that made it impossible to stay - her friends here couldn't take her places anymore all that easily, most people have big ole trucks that she couldn't climb into...

MC, sorry about JoJo... he didn't mean it.  it was a love bite.

Love bite, huh?

lau.gif

we got 6" of snow yesterday, and it's still so cold, 8* currently. the new Jeep and its 4-wheel drive was fantastic... but it's icy today, so I may go to work in the old Oldsmobile which has studded snow tires... better on ice. I have an hour to decide.
the dogs had a blast, Belle not so much, but I cleared a space for her... Peri and Chester acted like they were at the beach. didn't even seem to get cold even tho' they were out for ages...

A lovely happy dog pic! Peri got a snoot full! Sad about your friend, but it's good that she has family to who care for her, whether she wants help or not! Hope she makes it back home when the snow melts. Hope it melts before Mylee is due to arrive!
big_smile.png

Hi all,
I'm new here and to having chickens. I recently bought 5 hens, 2 that were "laying", and 3 that were "starting to lay".
I'm getting 2 eggs a day. The startings are a little smaller than the layings. is there a general definition of starting ? Does it mean they have layed eggs, or close to laying ?
Thanks in advance.
RTW.

Back
Top Bottom