Should I buy eggs or wait it out?

Hi all,
I'm new here and to having chickens. I recently bought 5 hens, 2 that were "laying", and 3 that were "starting to lay".
I'm getting 2 eggs a day. The startings are a little smaller than the layings. is there a general definition of starting ? Does it mean they have layed eggs, or close to laying ?
Thanks in advance.
RTW.

Hi RTW. "Starting to lay" isn't a phrase I've heard used with any specificity. The seller probably means that they are getting close, or at point of lay, which means they are about 16 weeks or older. 20-24 weeks is considered the average time that a pullet lays her first egg, but individuals vary greatly. You'll know they are close if you see them taking an interest in the next boxes and when their combs and faces turn bright red (compare to the 2 laying, which should be very red). Also, if you approach or reach toward a pullet, she will sometimes squat down in a submissive gesture which shows she is mature and ready to mate (hormonally ready, that is!). Chickens like routine, so when it's disrupted, like being moved to a new home, the laying cycle can sometimes be interrupted or delayed. Careful inspection of certain aspects of chicken anatomy will also tell you if a pullet is laying, and if you are interested, I can try to find a link for you. What breeds did you get?

Oh, and welcome!!
frow.gif
welcome-byc.gif
Didn't see it was your first post.

Last edited:
I was going to say welcome, but then I wanted to say you can't join because we don't like new people and then I decided that wasn't funny and And I decided not to use a punctuation in what I'm writing and I'm using voice type it you really don't care about that so I really don't know what this is going to say and I hope you have a really awesome day and I hope that you keep posting and by

Voice type??!!
ep.gif
Oh no! I think we are in trouble now!!
big_smile.png

Thank you Wishing,
I just went out and looked at combs, and yeah the 2 "laying" are much brighter than the 3 "starting".
Good to know that info.
They are Barred Rocks. Also, do I need to have a rooster ? I have one a friend gave me, also Barred Rock and he seems like a bully to the hens. I named him Rooster Cogburn, but I'm thinking I should have named him OJ.
Thank you !!
And hi Motorcycle chick, I've been on Harleys since I was 16.

No, you don't need a rooster, unless you have trouble getting up in the morning! If the rooster is young, he may still be learning. Mature hens will train him, but your gals might be too young, so separate him if he's causing problems. If he's mature (1+ yrs), but overly mean to the hens, I wouldn't keep him. There are too many sweet, unwanted roosters out there. A good rooster will entice a hen with cooing and food he finds, he will guard them while they eat or dust bathe, and do everything he can to keep them safe, even if it means his life. A good rooster is worth having (as long as you don't like to sleep in). I love barred rocks!
yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom