Should I buy eggs or wait it out?

Man chicks are getting spendy. I just looked at the site for a breeder near me for some of the breeds I want to get next year when I replace all of my chickens and they're almost $10 a chick STRAIGHT RUN. Yikes.

Wrangler finally lost her other front tooth on 3/22! she's visiting Albuquerque for Spring Break. I missed the whole celebration.
I'm cool with that, she looks SO much better without the sideways, protruding snaggle! lol

I can't believe how big she's getting!!!!

So how are the chicken plans going? What are you thinking???

So did you see that Brahma video going around FB? Well DH said they were cool and we should get some. So I have 18 hatching eggs coming end of April!!! I think he was thinking more like 2 or 3 but well ..chicken math!!!

I like pig butts I cannot lie....

thanks, she is growing up so fast...scary.

I was hoping to get a hold of my handymen/gardeners but alas, I haven't heard back yet. I'm sure they're busy with Spring cleanup around the area...they did such nice work here last year, word got out and they got booked up...I'll hear soon.

if necessary, I can put up a small coop and small run to get through the first few seasons, and have something bigger and better built by next Winter. I did it in pieces when I first started out, and it grew into a nice setup. can't imagine doing less now...

I love those crazy big Brahma's... but they're not very heat tolerant. wondering how they would do here in the Summer when it's 100* F, or hotter, every day. I have plenty of shade to offer and it's most definitely, noticeably, cooler...but still, I figured clean legs would be better suited.

I have the space for 2 separate pens/runs if I want to do chickens and pheasants. and I really do want something special...but for now, I am going to concentrate on chickens.

It was recent...not sure if the exact day...

Ducklings are eating from my hand already, drinking well... Sleeping off and on, been a long time since I had to be checking for poops and pasty butts.......

Quackington and Bunny.
1f49b.png
1f49b.png

Pekins? So cute. Wrangler will get to learn all about wrangling ducks now! Can you tell Quackington from Bunny?

I have a bantam Cochin named Bunny. She's not doing well now. I'm thinking she had a stroke maybe. She's in a cage in the house mostly sleeping. I spoon feed her water and a little food, but she is turning her head away now. Poor thing, expected her to die several days ago. I will just try to keep her comfortable.

Bunny and her sister Minnie Pearl, who got taken by a fox last year.
sad.png

Cheeka, you wrote a little rhyme about them looking like a heart.

Bunny

Minnie Pearl

I also had a Serama hen taken by a hawk on Wed. I found the feather pile and saw the hawk the next day. With Bunny on the way out, I am down to only 8 Serama in the bantam coop. It's a big coop, which is good, because I can't let them out now, at least until spring is over and the hawk moves on. I think I will stick to large lying hens in future. The little one are so vulnerable and they hate staying in the coop!

Back
Top Bottom