Should I buy eggs or wait it out?

that's Ping. he's a Pekin too and I've checked that out. they can have all shades of pink to orange or even pale flesh color to their bills and it doesn't mean anything. at first, I thought he might be niacin deficient, and it made me worry enough to get some vitamins and some good veggies before I sat down to read that it doesn't mean anything. ah... such is... so I'm all stocked up with lima beans, peas, broccoli and mixed veg carrots/beans/corn.

they love their pool. it's interesting tho'...Sweet Pea would never have survived even with a good Mama. she would have drowned. she still tires out faster and needs to get out long before the other two, and she's not very good at preening herself until she's dry. she stands their shivering and dripping, staring at me, peeping... if it's breezy out, which it often is, I towel her mostly dry and make her do the rest. but she's very cuddly...at least, I hope she's a she.

if you do a search for "duck house" here, a thread by GracefulAcres should come up top. my duck house will be as close to that as I could see without much detail given in the write up. basic construction principles... it will be 12' x 12', and my neighbor is a former house builder, we need to put up a new fence between us, as a good wind will knock the current one down. he had a (mild) heart attack last year and was out of work for almost 7 months. he's fine now but cash strapped. I'll buy the fencing and he'll install it, which is perfectly fair. Then, he threw in building the duck house because he's a nice guy.
our roof is green. I have to pick out a stain color for the flooring. the redwood will be clear coated. all the walls will be hardware cloth. for winter, we'll make wall panels that mount to the frame from clear polycarbonate panels so they get plenty of sunlight. I wanted clear panels for the roof, but they were out of stock on virtually everything in 10' lengths. it's okay, I like the green.

Sounds great! It's perfect that you have a bored builder right next door. How handy is that? (get it? nuck nuck)

I like green roofing too. From my experience, the clear roofing is way too hot in the summer and I end up tarping it for shade anyway. Great for light, though, so we put one clear panel in for the hen house, the rest is reused tin. In summer, I just cover the clear panel. The run of the bantam coop is all clear, so that gets covered for most of the summer.

[/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]
We worked all day, digging the post holes and getting this far before dark. It's going to be so nice. Still a ton to do

Last edited:

All the posts are in and level, the floor needs 1 more partial board to finish the end, but the rest is sanded and ready for painting.
Walls and roof next, then their water feature. Should be finished by next weekend. The lumber was more than a half day late, then it rained...

That duck is smiling!
smile.png

Did I tell you I got two chicks a couple weeks ago? They are to replace my Marans that got raccooned. One Welsummer and an Australorp, that I now think is a male.
sad.png
How am I going to introduce one pullet into the mob? Have been looking for replacement pullet, but 3-4 wks old are hard to find. Hoping I will luck out for once, and the Lorp will end up being a tom boy instead of a cockerel!

Back
Top Bottom