Should I buy eggs or wait it out?

Battery! Gotta charge. Still got pneumonia. Later!

well, we know she's still alive!!
clap.gif

Well thank goodness! Glad to hear from you, ACW. Take care with that pneumonia, it can be hard to shake. My hubby's brother-in-law has had pneumonia since October! Of course he's almost 83. And has emphysema/copd. Former smoker too. That might explain why he can't get rid of it. I'm still gonna worry about you, though.
big_smile.png

I saw it in an E-mail, and someone on another thread said it works. Put an onion in a jar, bowl, or even on a plate, next to your bed. 99% of people agree no cutting/peeling needed. It will soak up the germs, and you will recover quickly. Some people cut the ends off.
Try it. All you lose is an onion.

7 eggs despite how cold it was (for us). Good girls!

Quote: Ahhh, I see you were not brave enough too intelligent to include a BR in your order.
big_smile.png
Your chickens will be paragons of decorum, practically perfect in every way, unless you are lucky and get a Roger to add a little spice to the mix (and have someone to blame for any trouble!).
yippiechickie.gif

Figured you had the temp thing figured out and prepared for when you moved her back outside. The mild temps will help too. Sounds like life is good for you right now. I'm glad. You deserve it.
wee.gif
Be Happy

speaking of mouse did you see my double I got on the "Tell How Predators" thread? https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...lse-from-the-bad-experience/560#post_10265520
The rodent equivalent of two birds with one stone! Did the the chickens enjoy them?
lol.png

MC, that's a lot of eggs! Yippee!

Cheeka, I'm glad the date went so well, but afraid of chickens?! Really? That could prove to be very entertaining!!
big_smile.png
We have (sort of) swapped temperatures. It was in low 20s last night (and will be tonight) and days temps are staying in the 40s.
sad.png
Frozen water in the run for the first time. I want my warm weather back!
smiley-gen125.gif

Wow thats awesome! I average 2-3 a day, out of 7 hens. Be glad when the ducks, geese & guinea start laying... hopefully will in march.
I know ducks can be good layers, but do geese and guineas lay well? Sounds like the only thing you need now are quail!

TWO
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif
TWO!! today we laid TWO!! and I fed one to Peach, as she didn't seem to eat much today. I took her out in the waning light to get a little air and time outside, but it was pretty brief... I don't want her to be lonely... I scrambled the egg, and she devoured the whole thing. I picked up some material to make an apron for her, and if it's successful, I can put her out on the roost with the gang tomorrow night. her wound is healing really nicely, skin is pretty much sealed up, I'm sure it's tender, and she has no feathers, so no apron... no rejoining the gang...
fl.gif

we'll get more snow with the coming system throughout the week, which is okay, most of the old snow is melted, even up here. I still have drifts, but it's been so Spring-like and warm... I love temps in the 40's and 50's. 77 days til April 1st!

animallover ~ it's Peach, the bantam, she must have taken a toe nail in the back during mating... and got a nasty gash, that ended up getting pecked at a little, as feathers are missing... I brought her in a couple of days ago and kept her in a dog crate so she could heal up... I posted pics a few pages back, the close up is really gross... so I wouldn't go back to look if it were me... she's good tho', even laid eggs in the crate (except for today)

OK, I did pop over to the predators thread, I didn't realize there were new posts... nice catch! we have mice at the PO, they got into some cookies that got left out, so the maintenance folks set traps, they've caught something like 35 mice. so we don't leave anything edible out anymore...and even have a new "food only" trash can with a tight lid.

animallover ~ it's Peach, the bantam, she must have taken a toe nail in the back during mating... and got a nasty gash, that ended up getting pecked at a little, as feathers are missing... I brought her in a couple of days ago and kept her in a dog crate so she could heal up... I posted pics a few pages back, the close up is really gross... so I wouldn't go back to look if it were me... she's good tho', even laid eggs in the crate (except for today)

OK, I did pop over to the predators thread, I didn't realize there were new posts... nice catch! we have mice at the PO, they got into some cookies that got left out, so the maintenance folks set traps, they've caught something like 35 mice. so we don't leave anything edible out anymore...and even have a new "food only" trash can with a tight lid.
The cold weather and snow drives the mice into the garage and the shed. I can always catch several when I bait the traps during a cold spell. I live in the woods so there are plenty of mice to reproduce. The owls are not keeping up with the mice. So far I have never seen or caught a mouse inside my house.

TWO
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif
TWO!! today we laid TWO!! and I fed one to Peach, as she didn't seem to eat much today. I took her out in the waning light to get a little air and time outside, but it was pretty brief... I don't want her to be lonely... I scrambled the egg, and she devoured the whole thing. I picked up some material to make an apron for her, and if it's successful, I can put her out on the roost with the gang tomorrow night. her wound is healing really nicely, skin is pretty much sealed up, I'm sure it's tender, and she has no feathers, so no apron... no rejoining the gang...
fl.gif

we'll get more snow with the coming system throughout the week, which is okay, most of the old snow is melted, even up here. I still have drifts, but it's been so Spring-like and warm... I love temps in the 40's and 50's. 77 days til April 1st!
Is there something special about April 1st that I'm missing? I am having a duh moment here!
tongue.png

Glad you are enjoying some warmer temps. We are having very chilly upper 40s during the day. Everyone's walking around looking like they're headed out for an Arctic expedition!
smiley-gen125.gif
Supposed to get back to normal in a few days.

SIX
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif
SIX.....Two Molting Birds And We Still Laid SIX Eggs Today
Who else is molting?

Got a big 3 eggs today. 11 possible layers - one molter - 3 that laid = 7 slackers (A different kind of chicken math.)

Back
Top Bottom